What's new

Harmon Kardon 325 vs. 525 (1 Viewer)

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello everyone.

Looking to upgrade to either Harmon Kardon's AVR 325 or AVR 525. From what I gather, they are both 7.1 capable receivers, with the power rating being 50x7 vs. 70x7 for the 525.

But what about actual user experience? Are there any factors that make the $150-$200 price difference between the two much more compeeling either way?

Any input would be great! Thanks! ;)

Arvin

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the 525 has better bass management (can apply it to the direct/6 ch/8 ch/DVD Audio inputs if you like), does HDCD decoding, has the front-panel connections switchable from input to output, and has a backlit remote.

I'm just basically copying from the chart that HK has at their site (go to any receiver, and click on "Compare all: A/V receivers").

Those are the only major diffs that I know of, and the bass mgmt is the only one that would be really important to me-- it's most of the reason I'm considering the 525 over the Onkyo 800. Given the relative paucity of inputs on the HK, the switchable front connections is a nice touch.

Speaking of the 525 vs. the 800, does anybody know what DACs and ADCs the 525 uses?

Me

Paul DM

Auditioning
Tim,

I am glad I read your post. I replied to another post about my 525 when someone mentioned it has bass management on the 6 channel input. I tried it and the feature seemed to be disabled in the menu so I thought someone had made a mistake. Well, someone did, and it was ME. I did not read the manual and found out my receiver, for which I have new found love, has exactly as you stated, digital bass management for the 6 and 8 channel inputs.

Your probably asking why I am making such a big deal about this? ha! glad you asked!

I just today purchased a Pioneer DV-45a universal DVD player and going to get into the new (for me) world of high-def audio. This player has had several threads written about it. It seems to not have bass management for DVD-audio CDs that are 4.0 or 5.0 channel encoded. I was just about to purchase an Outlaw ICBM unit to overcome this fault of my new DVD player, but now I don't have to!

yippie!

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks