harmon kardan pa5800 problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Hill, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

i have a 5800 that stopped working. after many hours of cussing and pulling wires i figured out that when the remote shut off wire is connected it automatically shuts off. this is regardless of whether or not preamp is on or off. the second you put the wire in the hole amp shuts off. easy fix is run power cord on a switched plug or just turn off and on manually, but does anyone know why this would just all of a sudden do that?

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Steve: this is probably a stupid question, but, did you try turning off the amp and the preamp, turning on the amp, it should NOT come on. And then turn on the preamp and see if the amp turns on too?

Many amps which accept 12v triggers are designed to stay off when the amp is turned on(as long as a plug is inserted into the trigger input), until it receives a trigger from the preamp. After setting it up, the trigger surge from the preamp only serves to toggle the amp on, then off, then on, then off...

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

John is right . There is a sequence that has to be followed when hooking up the trigger. amp on or standby when the trigger is connected. I forget which way tho.