What's new

Harmon K. Avr 520 vs. Avr 320 differences (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Dave,

When you buy the H/K 5xx's you also get a 5 channel amp. The Main Ins allow it to be used as a separate amp with assignable channels with another decoder/processor. This effectively stretches the life cycle of this product almost indefinitely.

As Steven and Kurtis have already pointed out, this is a killer feature. But obviously, for anyone who's flush with amps, this feature will not have much appeal. For me, the extra power, HDCD, higher HCC rating, etc. of the 5 series are just icing on the cake.

From the 'choose one as a pre/pro standpoint', if you don't care about the flexible amping ability for the extra $, go with the 320.

For what it's worth, the difference in power is equal to anywhere from +1.25dB to +1.33dB on avg.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Back to the AVR8000, it does use dual Crystal DSP's right?

Thats why you can apply L7 to 5.1 sources..?

Does it really make a difference?

What exactly does it do to the sound?
Yes, the AVR8000's Cirrus Logic Crystal engines are why it can apply L7 to multichannel digital sources. It definitely makes a sound difference. I haven't had a chance to listen through my entire collection, but I've found I like it better than just straight DD or DTS decoding on practically every DVD I have. Opinions may vary from person to person, of course.

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what it does to the sound. It makes the soundstage more enveloping, more immersive, if that makes sense. Take for instance the falling log in "Bone Collector". When you close your eyes, it seems easier to locate than with just the DTS or DD track. The same thing with the arrows going by in "Gladiator". I'm sure someone can step in and give you a better, more detailed answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks