What's new

Harmon AVR230 or Sony DA1000ES? (1 Viewer)

ErikJO

Agent
I have been looking into both of these receivers and I am having a hard time choosing between them. My problem is that I can not find a place to demo them in the same store. I am leaning toward the Sony but something keeps telling me to check out the HK one more time.

So has anyone tested out both of the receivers? Any input or opinions would be great!

Thanks,
-Erik

Ben Harper

Grip
Erik,

I just purchased the Sony 1000ES. I know many people are critical of Sony, but I have always had good service out of their products.

I really like the 1000ES. It is a very heavy unit, and workmanship seems to be top notch. Very clean with no gimmicky plastic buttons. It seems to have ample power for my setup. The only complaints I have are minor. First, there is only one audio coax in, which bothers me since I prefer coax to optical. Second, the effective distance for using the IR remote seems to be less than other IR controlled products. Then again I am not using the supplied remote but a master programmable unit.

Also, search around for deals on this receiver, as several people are selling it for a few hundred less than MSRP. Also, remember the Sony ES line has a 5-yr warranty!

Ben

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I think the bigger competitor for the 1000ES would be the Harman/Kardon AVR-325... It is last years model but has everything the AVR-230 has plus more...

At www.onecall.com you can find the HK AVR-325 for $470 and the Sony for about $600.

The sony system seems like a nice piece but my vote goes to HK, especially with the Multizone option. The amount of power on the Sony might be more than the HK but in reality the notice will be almost un-noticeable.

My main reason for not recommending Sony is because of there warranty's and how they don't really care about a person who owns there product. Almost every product I have had by them has broke or had some kind of problem and when the warranty is out they do not honor it and for something simple like a new bass control knob they wanted $50... I don't really find a piece of plastic worth it.

Good luck, the HK AVR-230 and AVR-325 are both worth comparing to Sony.

Ben Harper

Grip
Erik,

Again, remember the Sony ES line has a 5-year warranty as opposed to the standard one. Also, elegantaudiovideo has the 1000ES for $425, and the HK 320 for $538.

Ben

ErikJO

Agent
Sounds like I cannot go wrong with either one then...

Looks like its going to be the Sony.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Again, remember the Sony ES line has a 5-year warranty as opposed to the standard one. Also, elegantaudiovideo has the 1000ES for $425, and the HK 320 for $538.
$538 is WAY too much to pay for the HK 320. It's 1.5 to 2 years old. You can get a new 325 for less than that and a new 525 for maybe $50 more. When was the last time their site was updated? It doesn't even list the 325, 525 and 7200. All the listed models have been discontinued for a while with the exception of the 225 which was recently replaced by the 230.

ErikJO

Agent
I went and looked at the AVR230 tonight and made up my mind to go with the Sony DA1000ES. The build quality of the 230 is not even close to that of the 1000ES. As for sound it is really hard to tell without being able to A/B them in the same store. I am sure that the sound quality is somewhat simular between the two.

Thanks for all of the input everyone...

-Erik

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I went and looked at the AVR230 tonight and made up my mind to go with the Sony DA1000ES. The build quality of the 230 is not even close to that of the 1000ES. As for sound it is really hard to tell without being able to A/B them in the same store. I am sure that the sound quality is somewhat simular between the two.
By build quality, I'm assuming that you meant the external cabinet, controls, etc. I've seen the 1000ES and wasn't too impressed with its appearance. I guess I need to check out the new H/K receivers also.

ErikJO

Agent
Yes the overall build quality on the outside. Not sure what you mean by not being impressed by the Sony. It seems to be very good build quality. Metal face, metal knob and nice chassis.

The speaker connectors on both receivers seems to be cheap but the sony seems a little better. The Sony is also a bit more heavy. Which is good in my book.

Anyways...LMK what you think of the HK when you see it?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you mean by not being impressed by the Sony.
Erik, I like being able to see the readout from 7 feet away on a receiver. My Sony STR-DA4Es had a nice-sized readout which would allow me to do this. However, the new line of Sony "ES" receivers appears to have shrunk the display once again. Additionally, there is a lot of "noise" reported from users of the 3000ES. Myself, personally, I would avoid the first generation of digital amps from Sony in their ES line to ensure the "bugs" are worked out. Being that you are looking at the 1000ES, this should not be an issue since it doesn't feature digital amplification.

Enjoy !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks