What's new

harmen karmen hk 3380 receiver very quiet (1 Viewer)

harnar

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
so I transported the receiver and now it only plays very quiet and I can't figure out why. The amp doesn't have much selection but I don't see anything that would make it do that. Any ideas for what I should do would be great.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Maybe the phase is wrong on your speakers. Make sure the positive side of the speaker wire, attached to back of receiver, is the same side of the wire attached to the back of the speaker. Another possibility is that the receiver accidently got put into "Midnight Mode" during transport.
Maybe someone else will have more ideas............
Good luck!

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
I am not too familier with hk, but did set one up for my girlfriend lately. on the back of the unit there was a level adjustment screw. i ha to turn that up to make her system sound right. this is just a shot in the dark, but i figured it was worth mentioning.

harnar

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
before I begin thanks for the quick replies.

So, I don't see anything that would adjust anything on the back of the amp. And from what I under stand if you wire incorrectly it still will play but the speaker will fire backwards correct?... regardless i made sure i hooked up positive to positive and negative to negative. So any other ideas?

gychang

Auditioning
Real Name
Gregory Chang

if the speaker is changed, it may be less "efficient", just a thought.

gychang

harnar

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
ok, its sounds like a pair of laptop speakers, maybe even on quite at 20+ what I consider the be the maximum volume I like to play music.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Is the source feeding to the AVR in "mute" or something similar? Is there any level control on the source?

harnar

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
well I checked mute so no thats not it. And the ipod was blasting.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It does seem as though something isn't connected properly or a setting has been changed. Maybe something as simple as the wrong input being selected or a source component connected to the wrong input. Some bleed-thru of the signal between inputs sources may produce some sound thru the wrong input selection. What I mean is if you connect a cd player to the dvd input, and select "CD" as the input (not "DVD") you may still hear a faint sound.

You can do a soft reset by un-plugging the receiver from the wall for 30 minutes. As a last resort you can reset the receiver by turning it off and pressing and holding the "Mute" button on the front panel for 4 seconds. See pg. 15 of the manual.

harnar

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
ok, guys I am 99.9% positive it isn't some feature I turned off/on. I think it is something to do with a loose connection or I don't know but for some reason it is putting out like a watt or something cause it is barely playing at a level that would blow the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks