What's new

Harman Kardon Users.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I just got a HK AVR-240 and have a couple of questions.

1. I have two pairs of speakers hooked up as front and surround. Can I just turn on the surrounds without the fronts for listening , as you could do with receivers having only Speaker A and B buttons? I am not currently doing surround sound.

2. I would like to use the bass management features for xover, level, etc., while only listening to stereo music. Can this be done, or do I have to use one of the surround sound settings? I would like to have greater flexibility when using the subwoofer with the mains without being stuck using only bass and treble.

These new audio/video reveivers are feature laden, but man, are they complicated!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) No. If you aren't using surround, then why have them connected to the surround connections? When connecting them to A & B, the B output may or may not allow you to use the sub with the B speakers only playing. A & B is what you want to do this, OR, you could connect the second set of speakers to Zone 2, if the 240 has a second zone.

2) All bass management should apply as long as you don't have your mains set to large and do have sub=yes. Bass & treble adjustments have nothing to do with bass management. I haven't seen any receivers that didn't work this way.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for replying.

John, you said:
1) No. If you aren't using surround, then why have them connected to the surround connections? When connecting them to A & B, the B output may or may not allow you to use the sub with the B speakers only playing. A & B is what you want to do this, OR, you could connect the second set of speakers to Zone 2, if the 240 has a second zone.

Well, that stinks, because I only have the following speaker connections.
Front
Surround Back
Surround
Center

So, I take it I can't switch between front and say, Back Surround independently?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as I know, no. I checked the manuals and the 245 does support mulit-room, but the 240 does not. What you can probalby do instead is use a speaker selector to switch between the two for stereo use in different rooms/areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks