1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Harman Kardon - Take Control remote. Any users.... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Herb Kane, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hello:
    I think I'm finally tiring of the eight separate remotes that adorn the side of the couch each night.
    I have read many threads as to the personal likes and dislikes of various remotes and their ease of use etc.
    I'm looking for something to perform the basic functions of each piece ie. on, off, DVD - menus, pause - stop & start, control Lutron lighting etc etc.
    As for fine tuning/tweaking, I have no problem with keeping the main pre/pro remote handy. I have a Lexicon MC-1 and I regularly go in and tweak (or play) with various modes etc.
    I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new Harman Kardon - Take Control for $399.00 CDN (about $245.00 US). Given my above expectations, is this a satisfactory remote...? Anyone with experience that can shed some light, would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Herb.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

grr double post
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on November 17, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Herb there aren't many users of the HK remote anymore. Most people prefered the Philips Pronto over the HK or if they wanted buttons the Marantz MRKII's etc. http://www.jandr.com

4. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Herb--you can get the Take Control for $118 here:
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...r=TC1000%20JBL
    I do not own it but some of my friends are very happy with it,plus the local high-end shops around here are having no problems selling them for $349,so $118 is a bargain.

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice guys.

Andrew, you'll get a kick out of this (Canuck vs. Future Shop story...), say no more, right?

I was in last week and they quoted me a price of $399 which I mentioned above. My wife went in and picked it up for me on Monday and it rang in at $329. Now, she might be blonde, but she didn't ask any questions....

When I get this thing opened, it appears to me brand new but already had a couple of devices programmed into it. Needless to say, I did call them and they took off an additional $100 bucks. So, something I thought would be $399 actually cost me $229 CAN. It was simply a matter of resetting it and starting over with my gear. I figured the hassle of returning it would be much less if it turned out not to be my liking.

I find that the fine tuning is a bit tedious and it is bigger than I thought it would be, but at least it performs all the basic functions and has freed up enough space on the couch for another person to sit...

Thanks again & take care,

Herb.