Harman Kardon speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg_Mitch, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I am looking at a 7.1 set of Harman Kardon speakers but would like to know if anyone has heard them and can give me some suggestions. The set consists of 3 pairs of HK 4's and one HKC center speaker and one HKSUB 12 inch powered sub. I am still in the process of looking for an amp but will probably end up getting the Onkyo TX-SR601 or the Harman Kardon AVR 325 depending on budget. Any help for this setup would be appreciated. I had thought of just getting the Fluance AV-HTB with a pair of their dipole surrounds to round it off but now saw these online. Help!

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I don't know about the HK4 speaker's but I can tell you I have a HK avr125 with a set of Fluance sx-htb speakers and they seem well matched. Some people felt that the Fluance speakers sounded "bright" and the solution was to go with a warm receiver like a H/K or Marantz, especially if you like to listen to music.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have to say HK and Klipsch. I love my Klipsch speakers and with my HK AVR-225 it sounds even better...

As for HK speakers themselves, they aren't the best in the world and unless you can find them for a good discount I wouldn't prefer them.

4. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

HK speakers,not too impressive.The Fluance sound great for the money,really,no kiddin',I was impressed.The Klipsch rf's,HK AVR would also be sweet.

5. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

OK, so you talked me out of the HK speakers but I still dont know what to do about the receiver. More than likely it will be a HK but I can't decide if the extra money is worth it for the 325 over the 225. I realize they have different features but with the saved money I could get better speakers perhaps. One quick question is, what is the difference between the two Fluance speaker packages besides color. They have different size drivers I believe. Anyone heard both sets that can comment? TIA

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The avr325 is a 7.1 receiver and the avr225 is a 5.1 receiver. I found good professional reviews of H/K at CNET.
    Fluance will tell you the sx-htb has better speakers and crossovers. It is also braced differently to make it more rigid.

7. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I know Fluance will tell me the more expensive package is better I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with both speaker sets. I wish the sx came in black because that light color wont match a lot of stuff. I realize that the 325 is 7.1 but do you think it would be smart (in terms of not having to buy another receiver for a long time) to purchase the more expensive 325 or just stick to the 225.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

If you click on my website you'll see the sx-htb set are not as bleached as on the Fluance website.
    I was concerned as well about the colour so I was pleased to see they were darker. It's only a $60.00 difference.
    I suppose buying a 7.1 receiver in order to upgrade later depends on if you're going to do it in six months or more than a year. 'Gear' with the exception of speakers seem to be "out of Date" as soon as you buy it. All my equipment is, or will be obsolete and my theater is only a year old!