1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Harman Kardon Signature 2.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Parnell, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

Just joined the forums today, though I've been searching and visiting for a couple weeks now. There's some very intelligent discussion around here, and I look forward to participating.
    I just picked up a Harman/Kardon Sig 2.1 amp (refurb) from harmanaudio.com via eBay for a real steal at $493. After a bunch of shipping hassles (nobody home to sign for it), I finally got it after work yesterday.
    The sound quality was stunning. I was amazed at the improvement over my previous reciever (H/K AVR5). I've never heard my Paradigm Monitor 9v2's put out such clear, full sound. I heard small touches in my favorite music that I've never heard before. Very impressed.
    This morning before I left for work though, I was quickly disappointed. I put on some music at a low to moderate level, and went down the hall to finish getting ready to leave. After about five minutes of music, I heard a "POP..bzzzz..." from the room. I ran down to discover the amp had put itself in protect-mode. Repeated power-cycles did nothing, and I even unplugged the speakers to see that it wasn't a short or something. I think the amp was just plain defective.
    Anyhow, to get to my questions...
    1. Has anybody heard of similar issues with this amp? I'm sending it in for a replacement ASAP, but I don't want to have continued problems with it. I've had one too many computer monitors that have to be RMA'd multiple times.
    2. I couldn't hear the volume of the pop. I was in a hurry to leave, so amid cursing I quickly swapped the speaker cables to my original reciever (which was acting as a pre-amp with the sig 2.1) and listened. Sounded fine, but I won't be able to do a good check until this evening. Does protect mode protect the speakers for damage? Or could something have still occurred?
    So I was VERY impressed with the signature amp until this morning. Hopefully I'll get a replacement and the new one will be just fine, so there's probably nothing to worry about. But I'm overly-paranoid about my system. [​IMG]

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Try HERE. It seems that the overall ratings are ok but I didn't look into it with great detail.
    Good Luck.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hmm. I have a similar problem with my Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 which is ready to be picked up for the second time from the repair shop. They didn't fix it the first time around and I don't expect it to work this time either.

4. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

Just an update...

My speakers are fine. Tested a bunch of music yesterday and carefully listened...no noticable problems. I doubt any damage was done.

Called Harman Audio today. They're going to cross-ship me another amp, and I should have it by next week. I'm pretty confident all will work out okay. I'll post my results.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey update for me, too. My SN 9080 amp is fixed and works great! Warrantees rule.