Harman Kardon Sig 2.0 Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shade Watson, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

I'm intrigued by the $399 price of the Sig. 2.0. I've been waiting for the Outlaw, but I have been dreading the $900 price. Even if that is cheap compared to other equivalent Pre/Pros, $900 would really bust my budget.
    I know the Sig. 2.0 does not have all the latest bells and whistles, like the 6.1 formats and DPL2. I can live without those, however, I do need multi-room capability.
    Does anyone know if the Sig. 2.0 has multi-room capability? What are some other reasons to not to buy the Sig. 2.0?

2. Shade Watson

Can anyone recommend a Pre/Pro that I could buy on the used market that meets the following criteria?
    1. DD/DTS
    2. Multi-Room support
    3. High Quality
    4. At least three digital inputs
    4. Can be found cheap used
    If this combo can not be had for less than about $600, I might as well wait on the Outlaw 950.
    I can't find anywhere that states that the HK Sig 2.0 has multi-room support. The Newcastle model only has two normal digital inputs (I can't use the Laser Disk one). The Sony E9000ES is still in the $900+ range.
    Any suggestions?

3. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the sig 2.0 for $249.00 at CC(open box). It has numerous problems with it. The volume knob is loose, the remote sensor won't work more than 3 feet away, and the center channel does not show up sometimes. I have spoken with the 1 guy at HK who works on these and he assures me that he can fix all of these problems under warranty. His name is Don Popham, he desiged the 2.0 and helped with the 7.0. He is retired from HK but still fixes equipment for them in Colorado. Seems like a great guy. I am mailing it to him next week. He will be putting in a new version of software in it which just being released. It is supposed to fix some of the bugs and improve the DTS. There will never be DPLII or es, ex available for the unit.
    I have used it for a couple of days and really enjoy the sound. It has 2 record outs and 1 can be used as a multi-room source. The only problem is that both the record outs have to be set to the same source. In other words, if you are watching a dvd in your HT room, you could listen to the cd player in another room, but you couldn't tape a tv show or the dvd at the same time. You would only be able to tape the cd. You can change sources any time you want but it changes it for both record outs. Does this make any sense? Damn, that was hard to explain.
    The unit can not convert composite to S video but will convert S video to composite. The picture out of it beautiful, much better than the 7.0.
    I purchased this so I can sell my Citation 7.0 and my technics dts processor to raise money for the new Outlaw preamp. I figured the value of all used preamps will drop when the Outlaw is released.
    Overall, the Citation 7.0 is a much nicer preamp but will not decode DD/DTS. The music surrounds on the 2.0 are ok, but they are definitely not 6-axis. I will really miss the 6-axis mode, but I have to have the Outlaw! Email me if you have any questions. I think it is an excellent preamp for $400.00. I wouldn't pay $1000.00 for it.
    [Edited last by Jeff H on August 10, 2001 at 06:31 PM]

4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Shade, I may also bite on the HK. However, there is some confusion whether or not the 2.0 has a true analog bypass. Ricky T,who used to own the 2.0, has talked to Don Popham about this and I hope he sees this thread to clear up the issue.
    Also, be sure that the HK has software version 2.10a (I think that's the # of the latest version).
    I downloaded the manual for the HK at some point but I can't seem to locate it right now. I'll let ya know about multi-room if I do find it (if no one answers your question).
    A final note, the x-over cutoff that the 2.0 uses for bass mgt. is 100 Hz (non-adjustable). This is a little higher than I would like.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

5. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I have the manual and will quote it: "When an analog input is selected and the stereo button is pressed, the 2.0 turns off all digital signal processing for the cleanest possible sound. This is a unique feature of the 2.0, rarely found even in high-end audio equipment."
    There is a new version, I think Don said it was called 2.13a. He was supposed to get it this week, but he hasn't received it yet. He will not be in next week.
    [Edited last by Jeff H on August 10, 2001 at 08:17 PM]

6. Shade Watson

Jeff,
    Thanks for you input. When you say that a 'record out' can be used as a multi-room source, does that mean that I would need another device to attenuate the full power signal of the 'record out'? Or, can the HK attenuate the 'record out' signal?
    Johan,
    Please let me know your ideas about how I could use the HK for multi-room use. I basically only need multi-room, not multi-source. I have a two channel amp in my living room that I want to use to power bedroom and/or patio speakers. I only need this when playing music.
    Come to think of it, I will eventually need a speaker switch. Do you know of such a device with a volume control? That might make this decision easier, even if a bit less elegant functionality wise.
    Also, don't be hesitant with any other solution, that is significantly cheaper than the $900 Outlaw 950.

7. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Johan,
    I am so busy now that I don't browse other forums beside digitaltheater.com much. Please post future questions for me there.
    The Sig 2.0 does not have stereo analog bypass. However, the 5.1 inputs is pure analog. At $399, the Sig is almost impossible to beat for a 5.1 setup. In fact, at that price, is it also a nice preamp/dac/rds tuner in a 2 channel setup!
    Ricky

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Shade,
    For multiroom, all you need is a budget stereo amp under $160 used with big volume knobs on the front and connect it to the Sig's record out...like audio source ampone or amptwo, or parasound 800II....that's how I did it.

9. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

The signal passed through the record out is a fixed signal, you would need a amp or receiver with a volume on input control. I think I have someone interested, but I have 2 Audiosource Amp 1a's which are 80 watts per channel x 2 and can bridged to 200 watts mono. I purchased these from Amazon less than a year ago and they are in my closet. They have input controls which would work for a second zone. I am asking $125.00 plus shipping. Email me if you are interested.

10. Shade Watson

Jeff,
    Have you heard anything about the new software release?

11. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Anyone other than J&R sell this? Someone who does international.
    I'm a bit worried about build quality and firmware issues. I have a Sony 9000es so I know what it's like to baby and coddle equipment because the manufacturer was lame :)
    But a $2,500 preamp for $400 is ok if the bugs are minor.
    I'd expect a small HTF Signature 2.0 support group seeing how popular this thing is getting.
    How does one update firmware? via rs232 and Windows software?
    T.

12. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

I had a bad experience with my (ex) Sig 2.0. I finally gave up after a week of putting up with it. It was very buggy. It almost blew my sub when, every time I turned the volume down to zero, it sent a pulse of LF info to my 18" Velodyne. That's not good.
    Also -- and this was really annoying -- every time you did any function, it would chirp through the speakers. Volume up one. Ok. Chirp. Change input. Ok. Chirp. Change radio stations. Chirp. And chirp a couple seconds later while it looks for RDS data.
    It had a buzz that was in a surruond channel (not an amp or ground loop problem -- I ruled those out). The surround channels are noisy, too.
    There were just alot of little things that added up to be alot. Too many problems to justify keeping. Even though it sounded good.
    Just something to think about before you buy one. You've gotta wonder why a formerly-$2500 pre/pro's going for $399 now.
    -Erik