What's new

Harman Kardon receiver owners (1 Viewer)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Do you connect all your sources to your receiver and then run the component out from the receiver to your TV?

For those of you that do, do you notice any differences in picture quality?

My AVR 525 is on its way and was just curious as to how other H/K owners set their equipment up. I guess I would have to connect the receiver to the TV if I wanted to use the on-screen menus though.

Brad E

Second Unit
The only component hookup I have is to my dvd player. I run it straight to my TV. Everything else is s-video and I run it through my reciever. I have tried the s-video to the tv and I didn't notice a difference.

Try hooking it up both ways and see if you see a difference. I doubt that you will.

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AVR630 and I run all my video direct to the TV, less fat cables back there and plus there is NO video upsampling, so there are no benefits anyways. I wish there was upsampling, that would be sweet. Theres my crap,

Scott.

I have an AVR525. I run the DVD player straight into the TV via component video, and the audio to the receiver via optical. I do have the receiver running s video to the receiver via the video 2 output for the on screen display. I have my satellite reciever also going straight to the tv for video, and optical to the 525 for audio. Hope that helps

Allen

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think I'll do what Allen did and simply run all my sources directly to the TV and then use an S-video cable to connect the receiver to the TV strictly for the on-screen menus.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Just purchased AVR7200 and changed the cables so that they run through receiver. I don't notice any difference in PQ and my screen is big, anamorphic picture is ~112 inches.

2 DVD's through RGB, computer and satellite through S-VHS.

I have a Mits 55" widescreen, and the picture quality is fine. I was always told that if your TV supports it, let the TV do the video, and let your receiver do the audio. The only exception is the HK on screen display, which I have found to be very useful in configuring the receiver and the speakers.

Kris_Smith

Agent
I tried thru receiver, but it didn't handle the HD good enough for me.....The color was off.....Blue....

It couldn't be the cables because I use the same ones to connect the cable box direct to TV with no problem...

I have hk630....

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I think to be safe I'll just run my sources to the TV as originally planned. I don't have that many video sources and my Sony RPTV has plenty of unused inputs.

Thanks again everybody...

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
i would definitely run it to the tv if you have the inputs. i run all video directly to my hdtv. my hk power amp and hk receiver handle sound duties.

this might be beating a dead horse, but i wanted to put my 2 cents in! :D

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Another question that popped up while perusing the HTF...
How reliable are the H/K receivers (specifically the AVR 525)? The reason I'm worried is that I bought my receiver (new, in box) from a dealer not listed as "authorized."

Chris, I have had a 525 for several months, and so far no problems. The only quirk is that sometimes the audio levels I set for each of my speakers sometimes resets itself to 0db, but it could be something I am doing. otherwise, it is a great receiver with more than enough power.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also starting to read about the "audio dropout" that occurs when changing digital streams. How much of an issue (if at all) has that been with you guys?

Kris_Smith

Agent
If you never knew about the drop out you would think it's normal....

Picture a car with a stick shift stopped on a hill.....When it's time to go sometimes they back up a tad before they start moving forward.....

It's basically normal and not much of an issue....It doesn't bother me at all....

It will be up to you to judge....

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

I wonder why this is an issue (or quirk... depending on your viewpoint) with H/K receivers and not Denon or Yamaha. And why they didn't try to fix it before putting out their new line of AVRs this year.

Just wondering... I'm gonna save judgment for after I actually get my 525 set up. Regardless, I'm pretty excited... should be here tomorrow PM :D

Kris_Smith

Agent
What I meant by normal is by HK standards....

I'm not sure why HK has not fixed the problem....It obviously is a problem when other companies can eliminate the drop out.....

Believe me, I have a Comcast HD cable box and that bitch freezes up alot...I called the company and they said the HD boxes are more sensitive blah blah blah and "it's normal"

Now that doesn't even bother me that much and is far more noticable than the HK problem....

I'm pretty thankful that I can afford these things even though they have slight flaws, but yeah depending on your views you may be more upset than others....

I hope it doesn't bother you to the point you can't enjoy TV...

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I've read in another post in possibly another forum that H/K is currently working on a "fix" for the pauses between selections, etc. Also, they are supposed to be working on Dolby Pro Logic IIx. These updates are supposed to be for the AVR-430 and AVR-630 receivers. As we all know, the 225, 325, 525 and 7200 receivers can't be updated.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I have had two receivers, an AVR 85-still going strong, and a 8000, no problems. I wouldn't worry.

Kris_Smith

Agent

I read the same thread possibly...

I guess the question was "when" they will have the updates and fixes....

Either way I'm not too worried about the fix, but I'm not even sure the DPL2 will be anything I would greatly appreciate.....

After testing every surround mode on my 630, I am happy with 2....They are DPL for movies and music....Oh yeah and the 5 channel music....

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
So I got my AVR 525 today... still in the middle of connecting everything.

I had a quick question... Is there any other way to connect the subwoofer other than the pre-out? I'm using some HTIB speakers temporarily and the subwoofer is passive. Am I pretty much screwed in terms of my subwoofer situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks