Harman Kardon power rating?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by gregg hh, Dec 23, 2003.

1. gregg hh

gregg hh Auditioning

I was considering the purchase of a Sony ES until I read alot of the feedback on this site. As Harman Kardon seems so highly regarded, I checked their site, and was suprised to see the lower per channel ratings (50w). I'm a newby, but from car audio a decade ago I realize some ratings are understated, others overstated, etc... I also want to say the "high current" makes a difference...... can't remember.

Anyway, I need a quality unit to cleanly power five Ascends. I will never listen to music on this system, just movies.

That being said, do I need a tuner or just an amp and DVD? If reciever what are the good peices in the $500-600 range?

Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for your help.

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Usually a reciever/amp has a turner, but you said you wont listen to any music so the tuner is not important. To play movies you will need a reciever/amp a DVD and a TV for video.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

high current amps are always good.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

Check the site I listed below, you will see HK is the only one to actually have passed what they rate for power on all there recievers.

Good luck on your decision. Also, everyone likes the sounds of different recievers, so even though the HK may offer more power, you may like the sound of Denon instead...