Harman Kardon or Onkyo?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Moeller, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Scott Moeller

Scott Moeller Auditioning

Hi, I am a newbie looking for some advice. I am putting together a home theater for a friend. Which of these receivers listed below would be the best choice? The Harman Kadon or the Onkyo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Harman Kardon AVR 635 7.1 Channels Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR801 or TXNR901 7.1 Channels Receiver

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Scott.

You originally posted this in the Home Theater Builder section. That area is reserved for discussions about stories and reviews that appear in the magazine. Here -- Receivers/Amps -- is where you want to ask this question.

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I would go w/ the AVR635 or wait on the Onkyo 802 or 902.

As a note some people are disliking the "Auto DSP" function of the HK. For example during the Superbowl People were using their HK in 7.1 Logic 7, but every time a commercial came on it switched to 5.1, but did not switch back to 7.1 when the Superbowl action restarted.
    Will HK fix this? Who knows?

Spec-wise the HK has great Dac's and a killer amp section. Go to your local Circuit to listen to them, b/c they should have both HK and Onkyo units.

4. John S

John S Producer

Both comparable.. Pick the one you like best for sure.

5. Scott Moeller

Oops, sorry about poting in the wrong section.

Ya, I checked them out last night. I believe I am going to go with the HK 635. It was excellent as was the Onkyo, but I was drawn to the HK just a little bit more. Thanks for the feedback. Now, the very tough question of finding the right speakers? Ha. I heard infinity complements this receiver well. I tried the infinity, Polk, and Bose cubes last night. I thought the Bose speakers sounded best, but reading a couple message boards leads me to believe that Bose is not well liked around the audio community? If anyone has suggestions on their favorite speakers, I would appreciate it. I am looking around the $1200 to $1400 range. Thanks again for everyone’s help. Wait, I just turned this into a speaker question. Wrong forum, hey, I'm a newbie. hehe.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

As far as receivers are concerned, I think your choice is a good one, although as stated- the Onks are great, too. I just picked up a lower end 502 model for my cousin and the sound was terrific. There is a difference in sound, however, from the HKs and the fact the you were drawn to the HK sound is interesting to me. I would like to know why, if you don't mind stating it. Although I know it's only your opinion, I share in this view and just want to know what differences you heard and compare them to what I hear when I compare the two. I just spent this weekend listening to a bunch of Onks and HKs in stores and then went home and listened to my HK 225 and the Onk 502 on the same speakers, with the same sound format, and the differences were there. I didn't expect to hear a difference on these lower end models, but it was still there. In general, I heard a bit more defined sound all around with the HK. The Onks actually seemed to be a bit more bass heavy with good impact but with a little less definition. Now, in terms of your speakers. I would do a search in the speaker forum and see what you come up with. Then post questions and see what comes up. I would stay away from posting about Bose, since you will only hear the same thing that has been posted here year after year. In the end, if you like the sound of those speakers best- go for it. It's what you hear that counts. Good luck.
    José

One more thought- when you post on speakers, clarify if the budget includes the a sub. It seems like it does since you were looking at Bose and I can't imagine them sounding so hot in a store without a sub (just a little dig...I couldn't resist) :b

Check this out for starters. I've not shopped from them, but there seem to be some pretty good deals with very nice subs.

7. Scott Moeller

Thanks Jose. I think you hit it on the head with your assessment. I felt that the HK had more of a bright sound and the Onk's had more of a bass sound to it. It is hard to make a decision, they are both excellent receivers. I also like the look of the HK more. Sound is more important than looks though (IMO). Yes, my speaker budget includes the sub. Thanks for the link.