What's new

Harman Kardon HE-1000A External Infrared Remote Sensor (1 Viewer)

Limberg Michelsen

Auditioning
Real Name
Limberg
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 445 receiver that I have had for a few years. I recently made some changes to the room, so that the receiver now sits behind a door.

Thankfully, the receiver has an "IR Input". The manual states:

IR Input: If the AVR 445’s front-panel IR sensor is blocked due to cabinet doors or other obstructions, an external IR sensor may be used. Connect the output of the sensor to this jack

I had two IR 3.5 mm cables laying around that look like the one one in the attached image

I tried connecting this, but it doesn't work. I think it's because this is an IR Blaster and not a receiver.

So I searched online. It seems that what I need is the "Harman Kardon HE-1000A" to hook up to the IR 3.5 mm plug. But this device is nowhere to be found, which I find quite surprising. Harman Kardon doesn't make them anymore and I can't even find a used one on eBay.

So what alternatives are there? I know there are other IR receiver, but I need something that is compatible with my receiver. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• B0159479089.jpg
    B0159479089.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 757

Limberg Michelsen

Auditioning
Real Name
Limberg
Hi and thanks for the relpy. I have looked at Xantech, but don't know exactly which of their items is compatible with my Harman Kardon. I sent them an e-mail asking about it, but got no reply :(

Will look into Cables-2-go

Mpk490p

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Kitchen
Hi did you resolve this? i have the same issue with an AVR255 and AVR355

iefbr14

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward Van Halen
I finally solved this - - have been looking for years to replace my broken HE-1000-A connected to my Harmon Kardon AVR-7200, and today I received the BAFX remote extender/repeater kit (26 bucks at Amazon) and it works perfectly. Finally I have my multi-room functionality back (since the only way you can control the multi-room without going thru the cumbersome on-screen display is to have your MR remote feed actually plugged into the back of the AVR). For your 26 bucks you get the distribution block, AC power supply, one IR receiver, and 8 IR blasters (none of which I am using). I had to supply my own 1/8-inch cable to go from one of the transmitter ports, plugged straight into the back of the AVR. Works perfectly.

Posting here so it will help somebody else, since I've been searching now-and-then for a solution to this for years. Keep in mind that the BAFX is sold as a receiver and set of blasters - but I am NOT using any of the blasters. Works fine lined-in.

gene11s

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene
I finally solved this - - have been looking for years to replace my broken HE-1000-A connected to my Harmon Kardon AVR-7200, and today I received the BAFX remote extender/repeater kit (26 bucks at Amazon) and it works perfectly. Finally I have my multi-room functionality back (since the only way you can control the multi-room without going thru the cumbersome on-screen display is to have your MR remote feed actually plugged into the back of the AVR). For your 26 bucks you get the distribution block, AC power supply, one IR receiver, and 8 IR blasters (none of which I am using). I had to supply my own 1/8-inch cable to go from one of the transmitter ports, plugged straight into the back of the AVR. Works perfectly.

Posting here so it will help somebody else, since I've been searching now-and-then for a solution to this for years. Keep in mind that the BAFX is sold as a receiver and set of blasters - but I am NOT using any of the blasters. Works fine lined-in.
I bought a similar repeater kit before I saw this. I have an old HK AVR 500 receiver and it has IR "Input" and "Output" on the back. The kit worked with the blasters but when I used a 1/8 Stereo phone plug from the IR Emitter on the"extender" to the HK AVR 500 "IR-Input" spot on the back of the receiver it broke the extender. Was my mistake using a stereo 1/8 plug instead of a mono plug? I now have a BAFX kit and i don't want to wreck it. Any advice is appreciated.

deakinsd

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell

This post was so helpful, thank you very much. I have an AVR 330 and my HE-1000A failed after a lightning strike. The LED remained illuminated and did not send a signal. Perhaps the IR received failed.
I purchased the BAFX IR Repeater and it worked perfectly and I now have multiroom function once again. The original IR Transmitter I use to control my 300 disc CD player also works with this unit. All I had to do is plug it into the BAFX block. Now I have 8 IR transmitters, that like you, I don't need but that is ok.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennisgordan
Recent bookmarks