Harman Kardon CDR 30

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Talal, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinkig of getting this unitas my cd player.

It's got HDCD decoding, as well as "audiophile" level MP# decoding.

Has anyone heard anything about these?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Talal, I have the H/K CDR 30, and it is very good component. It is a good CD player, though I don't use it as one. I use it exclusively for dubbing CDs, and I have never made a coaster. Copies sound just like originals to my ears. The CDR 30 does have an HDCD decoder, but that is not a big deal in my opinion. HDCD discs can sound great on quality non-HDCD players such as the Sony SCD-C333ES that I have in the same system.

You said:

3. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Talal,

I too have the CDR-30 (B-Stock) and am very happy with the unit. I do use it as my day to day CD player and it sounds great in my system.

I am also pleased with the recording capabilities of the CDR-30. I have never had a CD-R ruined either and the CD's come out sonically equal to their master (as they should). It's also nice that you can record analog mediums to CD since I have a lot of records that never saw the light of day on CD. And, you can take mp3's and turn them into CDA's. That function I have not tried yet since about the only type of MP3's I turn into CD's are stuff from the radio (Essential Mixes and such) which usually needs to be split due to length.

The MP3 decoding is indeed very good, but I echo what KeithH said. No MP3 sounds audiophile quality. But, I have used the MP3 function of the machine quite a lot and am not dissappointed.

Overall, I give the player an A.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Not knowing (or caring much! [​IMG] ) about HDCD, to get the "decoding" in the HK burner, wouldn't you need to use its analog outputs?

5. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the input, and sorry for all those typos... i was in a bit of a hurry...

I'm going to be getting this unit for $350 refurbished(directrly from harmanaudio).

Sound like a good deal?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin,

To take advantage of HDCD decoding on the CDR 30 or any CD or DVD player, you must use the analog outputs. Some A/V receivers have MP3 decoders, but the vast majority of them do not.

Talal,

I generally avoid refurbished components because I never know what was wrong with them and because I don't feel comfortable about the long-term reliability. Some manufacturers warrant refurbished components for only 90 days, and that bothers me to no end. To my mind, it shows that the manufacturer has no faith in the product long-term. I will say that I would feel better about getting a refurbised component directly from the manufacturer than from a dealer if I were to get one. So, if you have to get a refurbished CDR 30, get it from Harman. I have to say, however, that I don't think you are getting a very good deal there. I bought my CDR 30 brand new in February 2001 for $450 from OneCall (authorized dealer; 1-800-340-4770), but that was when it was a new model and retailed for $600. The retail price has dropped since then. Call OneCall and J&R Music World (also authorized; 1-800-221-8180). You should be able to get a very good price on a brand new unit from one or both of those dealers. Good luck.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

In general, I usually *prefer* to buy refurb:

1) Lower cost. (I got a refurb Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD player for $300. List was $1000.)

2) What usually *will* go wrong with it, already has, and the *manufacturer* itself has fixed it.

2a) Or, if there is a general problem with a product, during the refurb process, the fix might be applied to it to *prevent* that problem from occurring.

3) Usually if a unit has been refurbed, it will also get "silent recall" fixes applied to it.

But the usual 90 day warranty, instead of a year, is a downside.

8. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

the warranty i was getting was for a full year, bu t you were right about the price not being a bargain, so i've decided to not go with it.

Thanks for teh CD player recomendations in teh other topic, Keith, that helped alot.

Thanks again,

Talal

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Talal, no problem. Glad to help. Have you decided just not to get a refurbished CDR 30 or not to get a new CDR 30 either?

10. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

i'm not getting the cd30 at all.

I initially thought I was gettnig a good deal..

but, When I realized that wasn't true, I said "forget it".

All I really want is a good CD player for my room.

I'm getting a pair of JBL S38s and I'm not sure what stereo receiver as well.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Talal, I saw your other thread regarding CD players and posted a reply there. Regarding speakers, be careful that you don't overpay for the JBL S38s. Best Buy sells them for $500, but J&R Music World sells them for $300. At $300, I suppose they are a pretty good speaker, but at $500, I feel they are overpriced. My brother bought a pair of S38s at Best Buy for $500 a few months, and he was shocked when I told him that J&R had them for $300. He then asked me to listen to the S38s and offer and opinion, and I was very disappointed in what I heard when he had them set up with a Sony DVP-S330 DVD player and a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. He returned them as a result and increased his budget to get a pair of Energy Veritas V2.2s. In any event, if you are thinking of spending $500 for the S38s, I strongly suggest you consider other speakers at that price point (Energy, Paradigm, B&W, etc., etc.).
    Regarding amplification, you didn't state your budget, but I feel you should get an integrated amp over a stereo receiver. An integrated amp just lacks the tuner, however, you will get better sound from a quality integrated. Given how much you are looking to spend for a CD player and speakers, I would look at the NAD C 350 or the NAD C 370 integrated amps. I have both, and they are outstanding amps for the money. The C 350 retails for $430, but I bought mine from Sound City (authorized dealer; 1-800-370-3156) for $325. NAD rates it at 60W x 2 continuous power into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz), but two British magazines measured the continuous power to be 95W x 2.
    The C 370 retails for $700, but I bought it from Sound City for $525. NAD rates it at 120W x 2, but I would not be at all surprised if it measured out higher. I actually have the C 370 biamped with the NAD C 270 power amp, but the C 370 on its own is highly capable. For what it's worth, What Hi*Fi? out of the UK named the C 370 it stereo amp of the year for 2000 and 2001, and Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK also reported it as being named the European amp of the year by the EISA.
    See www.nadelectronics.com for more information on these integrated amps. I don't think you would disappointed with either one.