Harman Kardon bought Denon? Is This True?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Haynes, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I was talking to my local dealer today about looking for a new receiver especially the Denon 3802 and he mentioned that I should steer clear from Denon since they are no longer going to be making receivers since Harman Kardon just purchased them. He has heard that Harman is going to discontinue the denon class receivers and try to push sales on their new Harman Kardon's receivers. Then after mentioning that he said that I should buy an Integra 7.1 since it's a much better receiver.
    I just couldn't believe what he said. Please tell me what the status is with Denon? Are they here to stay or did they really get bought out?
    ------------------
    Haynes HomeTheater

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

To my knowledge, Hitachi owns Nippon Columbia which is the company's name that makes/markets Denon. I have not seen anything anywhere that says that Hitachi has sold what is arguably the top one or two brands (in sales) in receivers.
    If it's true, your dealer is the 1st in the country to release this info???
    (I'm not an H/K fan at all. I pray this isn't true!!!)
    ------------------

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Hey, Greg. I haven't heard about Harman International buying Denon either. I hope that isn't true. While I like my H/K CD recorder, I feel Denon makes better stuff all-around.
    I found no information of such a merger on www.denon.com or www.harman.com . It could be that the dealer has an alterior motive for pushing the Integra piece (better commission or perks?), but lying, if that is what he is doing, is beyond low.
    By the way, which dealer was this? Does any dealer in our area sell both Denon and Integra? Tweeter sells Denon and Onkyo, but not Integra.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Agent

Chuch, in fact, Denon is no longer a division of Hitachi/Nippon Columbia but it is now owned by a US investment company called Ripplewood Holdings:
    http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index.asp?layout=story&articleId=CA82894&display=sea rchResults
    Or, go to
    http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index.asp?layout=twice
    and do a search with the keyword "denon". There is a news thread dated on 5/21/2001 regarding the new owner of Denon.
    -- Eric
    [Edited last by Eric Lo on October 17, 2001 at 11:05 PM]
    [Edited last by Eric Lo on October 17, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Eric: Thanks for the info. While this does indicate that Denon MAY be starting somewhat anew, it's much better news to me than H/K becoming involved.
    It's pretty clear that over the last 2 or 3 years, Denon has decided to try to be a (the?) leader in receiver sales. And they have made several big splashes...
    I guess time will tell if the new owners do things right?
    ------------------

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Although I've heard nothing about this, and it really doesn't make sense for Harman to be interested in Denon anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this Ripplewood Holdings company bought Denon just to flip it for a profit.

7. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

Sooner or later, Denon will be sold. A holding company is not going to buy Denon because they are interest in Audio, but to flip it for a profit.

8. Scotty Parish

Eric,
    Thanks for the links. I would say this information bodes well for Denon. When they go public, they will in effect, be a separate company and able to run the company with their own management and have to report to no one other than shareholders.

9. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I see no reason why Harman would be interested in Denon. They are much more established than Denon, and IMO make much better gear. The new H/K receivers and amps are incredible. H/K fans are in for a real treat.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, tread lightly. Some here will regard your anti-Denon rhetoric as blasphemy. LOL. [​IMG] Seriously though, that is saying a lot about Harman/Kardon. I assume you have one their amps or receivers. Which model?
    By the way, what makes Harman/Kardon "much more established than Denon"? It's not as if Denon is new on the block.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

11. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Agent

Scotty, that's one optimistic way to interpret the news. However, it's exactly the same news that holds up my purchase of AVR-5800 and possibly future Denon products. My concern is that Denon will be forced to become bottom-line-oriented either by the US investment company or the shareholders if Denon go public. It may drive Denon to focus on mass-market products, less attention to quality control in general, and less support for higher end products. For example, Mercedes S-class and C-class quality have been going down since it went public while the privately held BMW is able to maintain solid quality across its product lines. Denon was able to make high quality A/V gears when it was with Nippon Columbia is partly because Hitachi had little influence on Denon's engineering and management.
    In fact, I'm not sure if the delay of the HW/SW upgrade of AVR-5800 has anything to do with the new ownership. I hope the new ownership will turn Denon to the good side and not bottom-line-oriented.
    -- Eric
    [Edited last by Eric Lo on October 18, 2001 at 08:03 PM]

12. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Denon, THE OLDEST AUDIO COMPANY IN JAPAN, is still being managed by japanese, the holding company did recently purchase it from nippon and to what end no one is really sure....it will be interesting to see who the next owners will be, but I doubt that you'll see anything but an improvement because they've been under-marketed and under funded in the past and for a while a lot of their b-stock products were being dumped to unauthorized dealers to inflate sales figures while reducing warranty pay-outs for the sale of the brand (both by nippon and the new holding company which is trying to make a good sale as well). At least this is among the most oft repeated rumors in the buis. They have reduced un-sellable(previously) and stagnant inventory and it appears to some as if they are increasing brand awareness because of it!!! The "lets fllod Walmart with unauthorized non-warrantied goods" stratagy may pay off for the sellers of this fine brand ...details/rumors as they arrive..........

13. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

KeithH, I like Denon gear too as I've owned 2 Denon receivers (2500 and 3200) and the Denon AVP8000 pre/pro. I have owned 2 H/K receivers (AVR80 THX and AVR85). Currently, I am running my Yamaha HTR-5250 w/ my newly aquired H/K Signature 2.1 amp. As for your following question: