1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Harman-Kardon AVR85 and SVS Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryHatchett, Jul 18, 2001.

1. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I'm replacing a Sunfire True Sub MKII with a 16-46CS that just showed up this morning. In honor of the new sub and new RPTV (65H80 due in tomorrow), I rewired everything last night, put everything on a new rack, etc., etc.
    While I was rewiring, a question hit me that I've been meaning to ask for a long time:
    Where do you feed YOUR sub from? My Harman-Kardon AVR85 has a separate sub output, of course, as does any DD receiver. BUT, since that output is only active on a 5.1 signal, the sub just sits there useless for music and most of the TV I watch. For that reason I've always run the Sunfire off the pre-out for the Left Main instead of the actual subwoofer pre-out.
    How do you handle this issue in your system?
    BTW, the 16-46CS is a passive sub that I'll be powering with a straight amp that does not have any crossover capability built in. Therefore, feeding it straight out of a full-range left main pre-out will require a crossover. It's always bugged me that my SUBWOOFER ain't hooked up to my SUBWOOFER output! LOL
    Thanks...
    Jerry
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JerryHatchett on July 18, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

2. JerryHatchett

Shameless self-bump hoping for some discussion on this issue. [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Does your amp have a XLR input? If so, just get an RCA to XLR adapter for it and then run 12 guage wire from the amp to the sub and you should be good to go.

4. JerryHatchett

Thanks for the response, but that really doesn't address the issue here. I know how to hook it up and have no problem with that end of it.
    I guess I'm wondering how many people use the actual .1 sub output, even though a signal is only present there when running a DVD with a 5.1 or better soundtrack, vs. how many come out of a pre-out (like front main) that always furnishes a signal.
    I guess one option would be to come up with a switching solution that would enable me to switch feeds easily.
    ------------------

5. Loring

Loring Stunt Coordinator

Well I have the H/K AVR65 I dont know how close that is to your AVR85, but I know under the speaker setup for each surround mode/DSP you should have the option to toggle the subwoofer on/off if it is offered under that surround mode or DSP.
    I use the subwoofer out on my AVR65 with the sub turned on on all of the modes that has subwoofer available.
    Your Receiver should do the bass management for your sound. So plug the sub to the sub out and enjoy the SVS.
    (Note: I mentioned I have a sub, I do not YET! It is not mine but is on loan from a friend that just bought a new Sub. It is the sub that comes with those sony HT Box sets. It is ok but I can not wait till I have the extra money for a SVS 20-39CS.)
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    ~Loring
    • Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR65
    • Center: JBL S-Center
    • Fronts & Rears: JBL S-36
    • Subwoofer: (coming soon) Spoiler:SVS 20-39PC

6. JerryHatchett

Loring, thanks. I thought I had thoroughly explored all the menu options, but apparently I haven't. I'd think the AVR85 would have the same featureset in this regard and this would certainly solve my dilemma.
    Jerry
    ------------------