Harman Kardon Avr7000- What you guys think??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leor, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Leor

Leor Auditioning

I will probably get it for the holidays, I was wondering how good it wasl

Thank you.

2. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Love it!

... but LFE cross-over doesn't go low enough (80 Hz).

Good, clean power. Pretty good features. Logic 7 works pretty well (but always seems to be at a "lower level".

3. Leor

Leor Auditioning

What does that mean...that the lfe crossover doesn't go low enough?

thanks

4. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, I would just wait for the AVR-8000. It has everything that the Denon AVR-5800 and more, with the exception of rated power. And the AVr-8000 is shiping NOW!! Why get last years model, when you can get the very best NOW!! I guess that depends on your wallet.
    But before you make your decision, I would look into this. And I am not even a HK fan, my cousin is. Just do a straight comparison with all 3 recivers, then make your decision.
    http://www.harmankardon.com/product....%208000&sType=

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'd go with the 8000, even if it means you have to save or sacrifice something, I wouldn't buy last years model especially this year's model has a whopping amount of features that would probably be future friendly for a while.

6. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

It's a shame the AVR8000 only has 5 amps in it. Not that big a deal I suppose, but possibly inconvenient anyway.

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I don't see DTS 96/24 5.1 decoding either...not sure how important this will be in the future.

8. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    By "not going low enough" the poster meant that the receiver has three internal cross-over points, 100Hz, 90Hz, and 80Hz. If your mains only go down to 80, then the receiver goes low enough. But if your mains go lower, you might want a receiver with an even lower cross-over. Many receivers have one fixed crossover point (90Hz or 100Hz is common).

The AVR-7000 produces tremendous sound. If you have a 5.1 system, and do not plan to expand to a center rear channel, it is a very good receiver. I disagree with several posters on the issue of buying the latest and greatest. If last year's product meets your needs, it can be a great bargain (sometimes at half its original cost). If however, you need or want all the latest features, or simply wish to always chase the state of the art, go new and go often.