Harman Kardon AVR520 VS Panasonic SA-HE200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony-Merit, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I know the Harman Kardon AVR520 is the better receiver but its also $400 more than the Panasonic SA-HE200. My question is, is the Harman Kardon AVR520 worth $400 more than the Panasonic SA-HE200? IS there really be a big difference between the two to cause a $400 price difference? Also how worried should I be about the Harman Kardon AVR520 wattage per Ch?

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

The HK can be had on line for $580 - 600 bucks. Is the Panasonic only $200?

The HK is wonderful - there's a nice thread here and on AVSForum.

Great amp (its strong HK underrates their machines)............unless you need 200 WPC for your speakers in which case the HK has preouts and main ins for a dedicated amp.

In short, its very good.

Mike

3. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

thanks mike for the post. The Panasonic SA-HE200 were I live is $450 and the Harman Kardon AVR520 is $850.

4. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Tony:

If you want to buy from a local shop - try to squeesze
    'em.. The new 525 is coming out $1200. And for reference I got one from Circuit City for $650. Others offered $700.

Good Luck.

Mike

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Don't believe the conservative stats HK prints, 520 has plenty of power per channel. Let me put it this way: the HK 320 sounds like the 520's wattage print stats. So the 520 is even more powerful than that, the wattage they print is a minimum per channel at worst case. Unless you are driving some monster towers, it is just fine for most speaker setups.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

With the AVR520 you get Logic7, pre-out/main-in loop, on-screen display, learning remote, Zone II capability (comes with 2nd remote), pre-outs for all channels, front-panel digital audio input (coax and optical) and probably a few more nice things that I'm forgetting.

With the HE200, you get adjustable parameters for Pro-Logic II, a variable gain control amplifier mode, digital audio re-mastering (upsampling) and probably a few more nice things that I'm forgetting.

Power is probably comparable between the two, especially so when you use the HQ (VGCA) mode of the Panasonic which lowers the maximum volume. Sound quality is different between them, but they are both very good. The H/K is warmer and more laid back, the Panasonic brighter and more detailed. After having various H/Ks at home for the last few years, I really wasn't too hot on the Panasonic sound at first, but I've grown to really like it. It's got a 'sparkle' that's somehow missing on the H/K. Sometimes this works in the Panasonic's favour, sometimes not...and vice versa.

Based on the feature differences I've listed, the H/K is, in my opinion, worth the difference in price. BUT, it depends on whether those features are of particular value to YOU.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Umm, here's how to get it from CC for a good price. Take a couple of printouts from Pricegrabber and Mysimon.
    1.Take your salesperson or manager to www.6ave.com and look it up for 597 (HK520). They will try to add shipping, but first they have to log in. Most will stop there. The site is legit and they have actual physical buildings and pictures of their showroom.
    2.If they add some sort of *shipping you reply that you wouldn't have to pay taxes over the net. Whatever they say, you reply that you'd also like the 110% pricematch so basically you want the extra 10% of the difference off. Only do this if they try to add shipping.
    3.Thank the manager and be happy you got it from a local store w/ a good reputation.
    4.The HK stuff has a solid 2 yr warranty, but if you need to swing the decision by adding the warranty, it's not exactly like you're throwing your money away. Any wiring or accessories might grease the deal w/ some stubborn managers too. You just saved 400 dollars off MSRP and 300 of their regular price. You bought it from a local and reliable palce to whom you could return the item or exchange w/ no added charges. IMO, it's a win-win situation.
    BTW, try to use this advice through a salesman so he can get some commission. Although, it might be easier if you went straight to the manager so CC can profit the commission too.

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wait a few weeks if you can, with the intro of the AVR525, the AVR520 will drop to $499 shipped.