Harman Kardon AVR510

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chung, Feb 26, 2002.

1. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

I bought the H/K 510 recently. In the DTS mode, there appears to be a much smaller LFE output level coming out of the receiver, compared to my previous decoders. In DD mode, the LFE amount seems to be correct. I have tried all the different settings of large/small and X-over frequencies. Does anyone else notice this? I am using the DTS demo discs and the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" disc for monitoring. Thanks.

BTW, I am using AVIA to calibrate sub-woofer level. Unfortunately AVIA only has DD and not DTS test signals.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Apparently HK's in the X10 series are -10db in DTS LFE. This was documented in another thread about a week ago. Something about a software/program foul-up.

If you want to hear DTS, you need to make the LFE +10 somehow, which would mean some serious tweaking.

See if you can find that thread....

Good Luck -

- CM

3. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find that thread, but came across another thread that talked about how most processors boost up the DD LFE by 10 dB. I also called H/K tech support, and they said that their receivers implement the DTS correctly, while others might have put in the LFE boost in DTS. In any event, I brought up the subwoofer level by 10dB, above that in the DD setup, as you suggested, and now the bass sounds much more normal.