Harman Kardon AVR320 or AVR320-Z or AVR325?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy K, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

I keep narrowing down my search for a new reciever, and am currently looking at the H/K. I am hoping someone can tell me the difference between these models. I found the AVR320 at J and R for $400, and I found the AVR320-Z at Harmon Audio for $400. My question is, is the Z just because it is refurbished? If not what is the difference? My other question, trying not to call J and R is, what is the difference between the 320 and 325. The 325 has 50W x 7, the 320 has 55W x 5, anything else different? And anyone know the price and availability of the 325, J and R doesn't say much, just gives a number to call and Harman Kardon' website doesn't even have info yet.
    The other option would be a Marantz SR5200, but the best price I found was $550 at Cambridge Soundworks(www.hifi.com). Does anyone have a better price on the Marantz, I really liked the Marantz when I listened to it, but can't justify the extra money.

2. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

the 325 has dts neo 6 and has independent xover adjustments for each pair of speakers (mains,front and rear centers, surrounds), ala the Anthem AVM 20
    One big question I have is does this round of H/K recievers (325,525,7200,1001)apply Logic 7 processing to 5.1 sources (Dolby Digital, dts) as is the case with the HK 8000?
    Apperently the 325 manual says *no*, but the reciever itself may say *YES* as is the case with the HK 8000

3. Shane Yates

Shane Yates Stunt Coordinator

HK 320-Z is a refurbished unit with a warranty from HK, however JR might not be an authorized HK dealer and there may be warranty issues if you need a repair or something.

4. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

I've heard from others on this board that the refurb models may not come with remotes. J&R is listed as an H/K authorized internet dealer.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

6. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I believe the 320 does not have DD-EX and the 325 will. Plus it will have 7 powered channels. I believe those are the two big differences not mentioned so far.

7. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Kelli,
    I own the H/K 8000 and only it and the Lexicon brethren will apply full Logic7 to DD5.1 and DTS.
    Nothing else will.
    Tom.[​IMG]

8. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

I have a 320-Z. The 'Z' just designates that it was refurbished. And it came with both remotes.

Most of the above information is correct, however the 320 DOES do dts-neo 6. It does NOT do DD-EX. The 325 will do DD-EX and has 7 powered channels vs the 320's 5. And the 325 will NOT apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources. It has a different processor for Logic 7 than the 8000.

9. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

what about the 520?? Does this one 7.1?

Thanks

10. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

nope. this has been discussed a lot here. The only H/K branded processor or receiver that does Logic 7 on 5.1 source material is the AVR-8000 despite what the confusingly worded manuals say. This is also the case for the 325 and 525. Logic 7 on 2.0 sources only.

edit

sorry - if you mean 7.1 period then yes, the 320 and 520 will create a 7.1 mix from stereo sources if you use logic 7. But they will not enhance dts or dolby digital material in this way.

11. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I found a local Marantz dealer with the SR6200 for $599, so I am planning on picking one up tonight.

12. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Another big feature of the 325 is analog bypass on stereo inputs, whereas the 320 will always digitize its inputs. This is hugely important if you are using a decent CD player via analog RCA cables. This extra Analog->Digital->Analog process destroys any benefits the DAC might have had in your CD player.

If you are using a digital connection from a CD player, this is not an issue, though I believe that most stand-alone CD players will sound better when connected through analog (no jitter issues, and the cd player should have better DACs anyway).

As for the Marantz, I believe they have a fixed 100Hz x-over for the subwoofer, which is not exactly proper these days. Above 80Hz, it's easier to hear the subwoofer's location as separate from the speakers. With music, though, I'll bet the Marantz will be better.

-Cooper