Harman Kardon avr220

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Parisi, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Joseph Parisi

I'm trying to decide on a receiver, and since I hate parting with money it takes me forever to decided on any major purchase,

but I saw the above receiver on ebay for $300 slightly used, is it worth getting, or should i spend my money elsewhere. I was looking at getting this model, or a new avr120.

There's a lot of talk about reliability issues with HK. Is this really something I should worry about and find another brand, or is it worth gettting the above model

Thanks

2. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Hello Joseph

I have had my Avr 520 now for 3 months, and i love it, it works great, no prolems yet.

I would go with the 220, for the extra power for the music.

3. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

I just bought the avr310. I've been hearing the same rumors re: quality. I love the sound and power even though its rated at 50w x 5. I'm still researching the rumors myself to decide if I will keep it. The warranty seems solid so I think that I will stick with it. I dont think you'll do better for that price.

Raphael

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I sell H/K and I've had very few problems with them.

5. Joseph Parisi

thanks for the replies

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

i got an avr120 but i'm selling it cuz i need component switching, and i'm getting a horn problem out of the front right speaker input.

-ELmO

7. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I bought a AVR-120 a few months ago. I have not had problems with it. I got the extra 3 year extended warranty so if anything breaks I get it fixed for free for the next 3 years. About the H/K being underpowered. Most receivers over state there power output. But it seems H/K takes another route by understating there power. For a few examples. The H/K AVR-510 retails for $999, It is rated to output 70 Watts x 5 and it actually outputs 75 watts per channel with all channels driven. The Yamaha RX-V1200 retails for $899 and it is rated at 80 watts x 6 and it outputs only 47 watts per channel with all channels driven. The marantz SR7200 retails for $850, it is rated at 105 watts x 6 and it only outputs 27 watts per channel with all channels driven! The Onkyo TX-DS696 retails for $830 it's rated for 100 watts x 5 and it only outputs 46 watts per channel with all channels driven. All of these specs are taken from Sound & Vision magazine's in lab reports. So as you can see the H/K is the only receiver there that comes close to there rated power and even goes over it! This is not to say any of the receiver mentioned here are bad. I just hear so many people say that "even thought the Harman/Kardon receivers don't have as much power as others the make up for it in sound quality." Or something to that effect.

Ryan