1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Harman Kardon avr220

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Parisi, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Joseph Parisi

I'm trying to decide on a receiver, and since I hate parting with money it takes me forever to decided on any major purchase,

but I saw the above receiver on ebay for $300 slightly used, is it worth getting, or should i spend my money elsewhere. I was looking at getting this model, or a new avr120.

There's a lot of talk about reliability issues with HK. Is this really something I should worry about and find another brand, or is it worth gettting the above model

Thanks

2. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Hello Joseph

I have had my Avr 520 now for 3 months, and i love it, it works great, no prolems yet.

I would go with the 220, for the extra power for the music.

3. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

I just bought the avr310. I've been hearing the same rumors re: quality. I love the sound and power even though its rated at 50w x 5. I'm still researching the rumors myself to decide if I will keep it. The warranty seems solid so I think that I will stick with it. I dont think you'll do better for that price.

Raphael

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I sell H/K and I've had very few problems with them.

5. Joseph Parisi

thanks for the replies

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

i got an avr120 but i'm selling it cuz i need component switching, and i'm getting a horn problem out of the front right speaker input.

-ELmO

7. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I bought a AVR-120 a few months ago. I have not had problems with it. I got the extra 3 year extended warranty so if anything breaks I get it fixed for free for the next 3 years. About the H/K being underpowered. Most receivers over state there power output. But it seems H/K takes another route by understating there power. For a few examples. The H/K AVR-510 retails for $999, It is rated to output 70 Watts x 5 and it actually outputs 75 watts per channel with all channels driven. The Yamaha RX-V1200 retails for $899 and it is rated at 80 watts x 6 and it outputs only 47 watts per channel with all channels driven. The marantz SR7200 retails for $850, it is rated at 105 watts x 6 and it only outputs 27 watts per channel with all channels driven! The Onkyo TX-DS696 retails for $830 it's rated for 100 watts x 5 and it only outputs 46 watts per channel with all channels driven. All of these specs are taken from Sound & Vision magazine's in lab reports. So as you can see the H/K is the only receiver there that comes close to there rated power and even goes over it! This is not to say any of the receiver mentioned here are bad. I just hear so many people say that "even thought the Harman/Kardon receivers don't have as much power as others the make up for it in sound quality." Or something to that effect.

Ryan