Harman/Kardon AVR220 vs AVR210

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Moir, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Will Moir

Will Moir Auditioning

Hi,

I've been looking to get surround sound for a while know, and after much research I'm finally near reaching a decision. Right now I'm planning on getting the JBL NSP-1 speaker package and the H/K AVR220 or 210 reciever.

I was at my local independant music store earlier today, and I managed to get some very decent prices on the equipment.

JBL NSP-1 $325 ($300 at jandr.com w/ free shipping, but I'd prefer to support my local store)

H/K AVR-210 $399

The problem is that they have the AVR-210, not the AVR-220, and a jandr.com I could get the 220 for $399 also (plus shipping, though). Basically, if I get all the stuff through jandr it will be a little cheaper, and I'll have the newer model, but if I go through my local store I'll have the benefits of having bought locally, plus better karma (or something...)

So far the only differences that I've seen between the AVR-210 and AVR-220 is that the 220 has 5 more watts per channel, and dolby pro-logic II. Although I'd like plII, both also have Logic7, which I've heard is comperable to plII, if not better, and it's not -that- important to me anyway.

I have heard that the H/K *10 series had some reliability problems, and that the *20 series don't have these problems. Does anyone know if this is true? And if it is, how important is it?

Thanks in advance,

-Will

2. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Will,
    If you think you may add external amps at some time, go with the 210. The 210 has preamp outputs for all channels, while the newer 220 does not.
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. Will Moir

Will Moir Auditioning

Chris,

Thanks, that definitely was helpful. I don't -think- that I'll need to use them, but it still is good to know that the 210 has some advantages over the 220 at least.

Thanks again,

-Will

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

FWIW, I have the 110 and love it.

Logic 7 is fantastic for plain old TV.

40 x 5 is not a problem so far, even with hungry NHT's all around.

I would like the option of the 6 ch outs, though.

If you go with the local guy, he'll reward you for the business with good service if the 210 fails.

For $249 you can get a refurb'ed 110 from Vanns.com.

It's got it all, except DPLII and the 6 in / 6 out's.

Good Luck!