What's new

Harman Kardon AVR158 to Samsung e series 6030 (1 Viewer)

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
We have a HK device AVR158. We bought a new Samsung TV ( not thr Smart one). The TV has only AV port and 2 HDMI ports . The AV port is connected to my satellite receiver . I also have a Sony DVD player. How do I connect this through the HK- been trying all morning with a set of HDMI cables and going crazy!!
I need to hear the TV through the HK ( only when I want it on) and play musick and movies through the DVD player . Can someone help me with clear layman s instructions?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...I guess every single Samsung TV now has the EXACT SAME inputs/outputs...(I wonder when that happened)...
And I guess all Sony DVD players now have all the same exact inputs/outputs...(I wonder when that happened)...
Anyway, you "should be" running all your gear into the AVR first, then HDMI into the TV.
I'm going to fathom a guess(since you don't provide ANY MODEL NUMBERS, other than the AVR158...)
1. You don't have a HD cable box with component or HDMI?
2. Your DVD player doesn't have HDMI either???
3. This receiver receiver doesn't have HDMI upconversion.
What does all this add up to?
Nothing connects together.
Edit...
The E6030 is apparently a Europe only TV. Samsung.uk.com isn't allowing me to see the TV right now...which is a moot point. Over here, at least, all the "non-smart" TV have lost an audio output(I think, as I don't follow Samsung as I tend to avoid them).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Samsung.UK finally worked...
The 6030 does have an optical audio output.
So, if none of your sources(that would be the DVD and STB) are HDMI...
You'll have to connect them to the TV and AVR separately(I guess, since we have no clue what your STB or DVD player is).
Or return the 158 and go higher up in HK to get one with HDMI upconversion.
Or, connect the STB and DVD to the TV and then the TV to the AVR and live with 2.0 sound.

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
Hi Schan ,
Thanks for being patient - I guess the fact that I am an accountant explains all the insufficient information !!!!
HK - AVR 158 - it has several av ports and 3 HDMI ports + one HDMI ARC monitor out port. This is more than a year old and I cannot return it. It was connected and working fine with my old plasma tv and the same DVD player. When I bought the HK last year , installation was free and the blessed man had a mass of wires all connected and working!!! My problem started coz I changed the tv and pulled all those connections out !
The Sony DVD is DVP-NS728H and has a HDMI port too .
The cable tv set top box is the only on with no HDMI ports.:confused:
Regards ,
Bala

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you have to switch inputs on the prior TV? (to go from STB to DVD)
I don't see where this AVR has HDMI upconversion...which means you would have to have more than one connection to the TV. Have you tried contacting the cable company for a HD box with HDMI? As an aside, do you have HD cable?

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
Yes- we had to switch inputs in the TV and the HK before .
1. I would select AV1on the tv and then AVR-VID 1 on the HK to get the audio through my HK.
2. I would select AV2 on the TV and DVD on the HK to watch a movie or music from the DVD . And I had to keep the tv on to listen to music, which I thought was a bit stupid ! :)
I seemed like everything was connected to the tv separately - all the av ports were full! We were not using any HDMI cables - they were all AV cables (red, white ). Now I found only one AV port and had to buy HDMI cables for the new Samsung.
1. I used the one port for the STB - it works okay but of course sound is still on tv only.
2. I used a HDMI cable from DVD to TV and it works fine too . Sound through TV.
The HK is what I am not able to figure out....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is you quandry...
The "easy thing to do" is to call your cable company and get an HDMI STB. That will solve 90% of your issues...
Right now, this is what you have to do...
Make these connections...
DVD ---> HDMI ---> HK ---> HDMI --- TV
STB ---> yellow ---> TV
STB ---> red/white or optical/digital coax ---> HK
That should be the only connections you need.
An "alternate" for the DVD is this(still requires two cables though and is dependent if this DVD player can use HDMI and optical/digital coax at the same time)
DVD ---> HDMI ---> TV
DVD ---> optical/digital coax ---> HK

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
http://uk.harmankardon.com/tl_files/catalog//harman-kardon/Home/Manuals/Audio%20Video%20Receivers/AVR%20158/Owner%20Manual%20-%20AVR%20158%20(English%20EU).pdf
This is the manual for the AVR 158

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
Hi Sam,
Okay .... Understood. I need to buy another HDMI cable . I bought only 1. The stores are closed now- it is midnight in Dubai.
I will try this in the morning and post to tell you the results.... Thanks a million.
Yes we need to get a new HD STB . We are not too keen on TV , so never bothered much though the provider has been chasing. We use the DVD a lot for music and movies. Will get it changed.

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
One more clarification - in the set up that you have suggested , we can still watch TV without the HK , right? If it is turned off, the TV audio will work? Not too keen on the HK when the teenager watches football - it feels like the whole stadium has moved into our house!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A friend of mines brother works at one of the "western-ish" hotels in Dubai. He constantly says I need to come visit...
He is originally from Lebanon, but left (with his future wife) when he was 17(won't get into the "why"...but you can guess). His brother stayed (and did all the compulsory) and works for a hotel chain based in the UK.
Speaking of which, I've been to Lebanon, Israel, Morocco and Turkey. Except for Lebanon, more than once.

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
Oh sure... You should come. Dubai is the best multi cultural city in this part of the world! And a lot safer than most cities of this size. A lot of Americans I know dont ever want to leave!!! You will enjoy a holiday ..... so treat yourself to one when you can.
BTW, the DVD connection worked . Will sort out the tv once I have another cable tomorrow. Thanks!

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
Hi Sam,
I did the following now:
DVD-HDMI-TV-HDMI
DVD- RED WHITE CABLE - HK AV ports
This is cool - I can watch the DVD with or without the HK.
STB - Yellow to TV
Red white to HK
HK-HDMI -TV HDMI
I can get the sound on the HK but if I turn off the HK, there is no audio. The last line above of the HDMI from HK to the TV is not needed?
Is there some way I can watch TV without the HK if I simply turn it off? This was how it was set up before.....

Balajayas

Auditioning
Real Name
Bala
The STB has the following at the back :
Red- audio R
White - audio L
These 2 go to the HK
Yellow - Video - goes to TV
Not used :
A serial port
A TV out socket - this needs another type of cable I guess .
I think this STB needs to be changed anyway soon so dont bother too much. Was just curious how it was connected this way before.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could buy a pair of these (maybe you already have them???)
http://www.amazon.com/Cblwhl-Female-Piggyback-Audio-Cable/dp/B000I94FAE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350162156&sr=1-2&keywords=rca+splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks