Harman Kardon AVR120

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charlie Johnson, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Charlie Johnson

Charlie Johnson Auditioning

I am interested in user input for this specific receiver. I auditioned the receiver yesterday listening to several Cds that can be quite harsh. I was very surprised and how brilliant clean sound reproduction is. My question to 120 owners is how does this unit perform in a home theater setting with digital sourcing?

Is the digital output as clear and clean in stereo mode?

Does the volumn need to be increased significantly?

2. Charlie Johnson

Any Comments at all?

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I can't speak secifically to your question, but the 110 series had, and may still have a problem with CD digital connection. When picking up the signal from digital CD source, it will drop the first second or so of audio while the receiver searches the digital input! Sometimes even between tracks on the CD thats continueing to play threw! This ticked alot of people off, some calling K/K with them replying this is the way the receiver works. Some frusrtrated enough with the drop outs to just revert back to analog inputs....
    I don't know if this was addressed with the newer 20 line or even if the later released 10 line was cured! This information drawn from reading here on the HTF forum.
    As far as sound, the question asked, don't remember reading anything about quaility issues with it! I can only assume that yes it will require a little more on the volume dial but sound wise no negative posts that I can recall.
    Let me state I do not own this unit, only what I remember reading. Hopefully some 110 and 120 owners can chime in with *first hand* information! Also the H/Ks are not (only brand) droping the first second or so of audio when useing the digital connection!
    You may try a HTF search for H/K AVR-110 or 120, and see what you can bring up...
    Geoff

4. Charlie Johnson

Thank your for your comments.
    I did as I say audition the receiver using several CD at a local A/V store. By audition I mean prearranging to come in and listen to my own CDs as sources. That being said, I did not noticed any dropouts on the initial start of each track.
    My original question is concerning the receiver in Surround mode....
    What I am interested in know;
    1. Does the DD/DTS surrounds modes sound have the same fullness as the stereo mode?
    2. In listening to DD/DTS material, did you need to use more volumn?
    3. As the gentleman above stated, Are there any audio dropouts using the digital connections in?
    4. Any problems with decoding of non Dolby Digital dolby signals?
    [​IMG]

5. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

not sure i understand all of your questions, but here goes.

I have the AVR 320, and i do not experience any lag in audio information when playing CDs through the optical connection.

Same fullness in Digital/DTS? Um, this would only apply to DVD movies and DVD audio which would be specifically encoded for it, so yes. If instead you mean: does the receiver sound more strained while pushing five channels? no, mine does not, but the 320 is considerably more powerful than the 120. if you listen to movies and music louder than most people, get the 220 or 320.

As for "decoding" of non Digital/DTS sources, there are no problems. not all of the standard DPL II functions are included in the x20 line, but these units also have Logic 7 and I never even use DPL II after listenting to classical with Logic 7 Enhanced.

6. Charlie Johnson

Thank you.

That answers most of my questions. As I mentioned above, I spent some time in a local A/V store, listening to my own source material. I was very surprised and pleased at the quality of the sound and I did not notice any audio artifact including clipping with the material used. And, you answered my question about the power. I was curious as to whether the system would strain under the load of the most challenging DVD Dolby Digital sound.