What's new

Harman Kardon AVR comparison (1 Viewer)

JoshMa

Auditioning
Hello all. I was hoping some of you would share your advice/wisdom/opinions regarding some receivers I am looking at. I am trying to determine what would be the best bang for the buck between the older Harman Kardon Avr's 7000/8000 or a new HK avr635.

I currently own the HK avr 225 and have been very happy with it. I plan to continue only running a 5.1 system so my real reason for upgrading would be for more power. For comparison:

HK avr 7000 is listed at 5x100 watts and 2x110 stereo

HK avr 8000 is listed at 5x110 watts and 2x125 stereo

I think the HK avr 635 is 5x75 watts and 2x90 stereo

Both the 7000/8000 are factory remanufactured and come with full warranty. The 635 would be new. Prices look like this:
7000 $598
8000 $898
635 $699

Would the extra power of the 7000/8000 be that much more noticeable over the 635? Or should all the newer technology found on the 635 be a deciding factor? I'm also a little leary of buying remanufactured, but feel good about the full warranty. Thanks for any opinions you guys might share.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A few questions come to mind.

- How big is your room that you would use it in?

- How efficient are your speakers?

- How loud do you want it to be?

Since you've focused on the H/K brand, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the 635. The newer EQ and room set-up options are very good features to have. If you were to answer that your room is about 15' x 20' with 8' ceilings, the 635 will provide more than enough power for you.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
If you are strictly 5.1 now and for the forseeable future, the 8000 is difficult to beat. Even moving to 7.1 is possible adding in a 2 channel amp. The quality of this piece is top notch.

But Wayne is quite correct about the 635. It is hard to find a better buy for what you get at that price. It has a few quirks but having the latest in DSP chips, EZSet/EQ and video transcoding to component helps to get you through. Power has never been an HK problem...forget the wattage differences if your room is reasonably sized,

JoshMa

Auditioning
Wayne and Paul thanks for the replies. My 5.1 system is comprised of the Monitor Audio Bronze series( B4's in the front/Bronze center/B2's in the rear). The speakers are pretty efficient with sensitivity ratings of 91 and 90 dbs. They are 6ohm except for the center which is 8ohm. My avr 225 has no problems driving them. I don't have exact dimensions of the room.

The 8000 is tempting, but the 635 does seem to be the sensible choice due to the newer technology and price. I have been reading the threads on this forum and the EZset/EQ seems to be a big hit. A lot of the problems I have seen people fuss about involve 7.1 use which wouldn't affect me. Thanks again for the input guys.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member

Doesn't that 225 have pre-outs? (I'm gonna go check...BRB...Nope, it does NOT, like my 110, 5 ys old and bought new for $300, held up well...Read on for free if you like, it no longer applies.)

You need to double wattage for every 3db headroom, right? I'm looking to score a like model with pre-outs. Drop a good 2 channel Adcom on the fronts or a good "vintage" 2/3/5 channel amp, like Rotel, or even an HK. Parasound, Crown, Anthem, Marantz, SoundStream, Crest, Yamaha, Sumo, GAS, Outlaw, Proton...McIntosh...uhh UREI?

Drop by the Epawn shop sometime and see what half your budget would get you.

Reman from HK is awesome. Half of my stack and 3 friends have them, one failure and repaird fast in 5 years on the bunch.

JoshMa

Auditioning
Thanks anyway for your attempt to help Colin. Pre-outs on the 225 would have done the trick.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Using only 5 channels of a 7 channel receiver will give you more power than using 7 channels. So since the 635 is rated at 75 X 7 you would probably get more like 90 watts into 5 channels.

Also, J&R Music has had the 635 for $679 with free shipping and no tax except in New York.

For the next few days Fry's in Indianapolis is selling the HK DPR 2005 for $799. I have this unit and it is superb. I searched for a good price in December - this beats it by two hundred. Good buy! Enjoy!

Dean_S

Second Unit
Onecall.com has the DPR2005 for the same price ($799) and offers 12 months, no interest financing. I've purchased alot from them in the past year b/c of their good prices, fast delivery, reasonable shipping costs and no interest. I think I've spent over $10K in the past year with them (and still owe them about $1K for the Canon 20D I just got).

GregBe

Second Unit
I will chime in as well for the 2005. It is hard to beat that kind of power with that kind of sound at that price. I love mine.

Greg

JoshMa

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies! You guys have been helpful. I was leaning towards the 635, but I will check into the DPR 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks