What's new

Harman Kardon AVR 7300 vs Marantz SR 8002 sound quality (1 Viewer)

thxbest

Grip
Real Name
sean
Has anybody heard these two AVRs and can share their experience? They are both older AVRs but in the higher end league, both good brands and famous in reproducing "warm" sound , beside H/K has better current amp section for low impedance (4 ohm) speakers and is more powerful.

Which one sounds better for music ?

Appreciate hearing your experience. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
thxbest said:
Has anybody heard these two AVRs and can share their experience? They are both older AVRs but in the higher end league, both good brands and famous in reproducing "warm" sound , beside H/K has better current amp section for low impedance (4 ohm) speakers and is more powerful.

Which one sounds better for music ?

Appreciate hearing your experience. Thanks.

I've owned the Marantz 8002 and an H/K 7200, which I believe is pretty much a 7300 without the Fraudja DCi video up-converter (which I think the 7300 was the first receiver to use it).

It was a while ago for botth of them but I'd say the H/K definently has the stronger amp section, regardless of the specs. But the Marantz is a newer receiver and comes with Audyssey room correction eq. The H/K doesn't have an eq. As I remeber, the 7200 had a bit of an elevated mid-range but deep bass and tingly high. The Marantz was a bit warmer in the mid-range but it might depend on the type of speakers you have. The H/K might be better with Polk LSi's but the Marantz with Polk RTi's.

The Marantz was a pain (for me) to use. The 7200 was much easier but didn't have the feature set of the Marantz.

thxbest

Grip
Real Name
sean
gene c said:
I've owned the Marantz 8002 and an H/K 7200, which I believe is pretty much a 7300 without the Fraudja DCi video up-converter (which I think the 7300 was the first receiver to use it).

It was a while ago for botth of them but I'd say the H/K definently has the stronger amp section, regardless of the specs. But the Marantz is a newer receiver and comes with Audyssey room correction eq. The H/K doesn't have an eq. As I remeber, the 7200 had a bit of an elevated mid-range but deep bass and tingly high. The Marantz was a bit warmer in the mid-range but it might depend on the type of speakers you have. The H/K might be better with Polk LSi's but the Marantz with Polk RTi's.

The Marantz was a pain (for me) to use. The 7200 was much easier but didn't have the feature set of the Marantz.

I have a pair of Magnepan MMG for music and a set of 4 Definitive Technology BP 7006 + CLR 2300 center speaker.

Which one did like more in term of sound quality H/K or Marantz?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That would be a tough question to answer for myself let alone another person. In fact, I really shouldn't even try to. But if I'm remembering things correctly the Marantz had the "warmer" sound between the two but the H/K was a bit "clearer". But in all reality, there probably wasn't much difference between the two, until you used the internal eq on the Marantz. But I used an Audiocontrol Rialto 5 channel equalizer with the 7200 so that evenned things up a bit.

In your situation, I would get the Marantz and add a two channel amp if necessary. You can't add feature to the H/K. But if you stumble accross a good, used H/K 7550....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks