Harman Kardon AVR-525:New or refurbished?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Ruggiero, Jun 24, 2003.

1. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,
    Was thinking of buying a Harman Kardon AVR-525. I buy most of my gear from Jandr.com, always have good prices, fast delivery and the items are packaged well. Their price is $699.99 which is much less the list price. However, onecall.com has the Harman Kardon AVR-525 refurbished for around $550.00, do you think it is worth the chance to buy a refurbished unit and save $150.00 or just go for the new one? Anyone have any experience with onecall.com's refurbished receivers?

Thanks...

2. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

From what I've been reading, people have been pretty happy with the refurbs from onecall. However, I saw the HK525 for $630 shipped here to Dallas from 6ave.com, and jandr.com is pretty good about pricematching...even non-authorized competitors. Onecall's price on the refurbed 525 is $580 shipped. When I get around to pulling the trigger, I'm going to try getting jandr to pricematch 6ave.

Ian

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

4. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

"From what I've been reading, people have been pretty happy with the refurbs from onecall. However, I saw the HK525 for $630 shipped here to Dallas from 6ave.com, and jandr.com is pretty good about price-matching...even non-authorized competitors. Onecall's price on the refurbed 525 is $580 shipped. When I get around to pulling the trigger, I'm going to try getting jandr to price-match 6ave.

Ian"

Ian,

I called Jandr today and asked them about price matching 6ave.com. They said they would not because they are not an authorized dealer. They said they would give me a small price cut to $690, but that does not include free shipping so it was actually cheaper to order it for the regular price of $699 and get free shipping, which I did. I paid a little more by buying this from jandr, but I wanted to buy from an authorized dealer for my own piece of mind. I realize that onecall is an authorized dealer with the refurbs as well but in the end I felt more comfortable buying a new receiver then a refurb. Not to mention every thing I have bought from jandr has always arrived in perfect condition and within a couple of days or ordering too. I'm not knocking onecall or 6ave just sticking with the retailer I have experience with.