Harman Kardon AVR 525 / DirecTV H10 HD Receiver Audio Issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Louisp, May 4, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    I am a DirecTV customer using a Harman Kardon AVR 525 to process the audio signal. The DirecTV Model H10 High Definition Receiver is connected to the HK AVR 525 using Monster THX Certified Optical Cable.

Here's my problem. When viewing a non-Dolby Digital channel, say, BBC America, I must put my Harman Kardon on "7 Channel Stereo" in order to receive a clear audio signal. If any other setting is used the audio has a distinct interference noise in the background (a gurgling sound to be exact.)

I would like to know if other AVR's (Audio/Video Receivers) brands have this same problem?

Thanks,
    LP

2. John S

John S Producer

mono sources are rough with modern AVR's. Not sure what to tell you on it.

Odd issue for sure.....

3. fernandos

fernandos Auditioning

Have you tried the Logic 7 mode also? Are you able to connect analog cables in addition to your optical cable? I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box; (DIRECTV) is not an option where I live. However, I do have the AVR-525 running a coax or optical from my cable box to the receiver plus analog out from the cable box to the receiver. This way, I'm assured of getting audio when I switch from digital cable to analog cable channels. The AVR-525 has auto polling (I believe that's what it's called) on it's video-2 setting which allows the receiver to auto detect the incoming digital or analog signal when you switch between digital and analog cable channels. The newer models, including the AVR-630 which replaced the 525 has auto polling/detect on all inputs. Mine is set up on video-3 and it works fine. If you haven't tried what I just described, give it a try.[​IMG]

4. Matt Bahnson

Matt Bahnson Auditioning

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I know of at least one line of receivers that does not experience this problem in the same hookup situation. I work in the HT retail business and I have probably hooked up more HT systems than I can possibly count, and most recently when we put out the newer lines of HK stuff (with the sexy blue lights) we had to prvide the receivers with more options as far as signal type in order to get a smooth transition when switching between analog and digital, or between Dolby Dig and otherwise. If the receiver is always left on 7 channel stereo everything sounds great and there's a smooth transition, but for audio buffs like you and I, we gotta have the DD. In this same hookup situation and switching situation, an Onkyo performed so much better than the HK it was difficult to even push the HK to a customer. The HK is usually sold to the features and numbers kind of customer, and the Onkyo usually goes to the guy that doesn't want to mess with anything, wants the best sound for the money and doesn't really know what all the numbers really mean.

If this problem really bugs you to death with this recevier, try an Onkyo. one comparible to the AVR-630 would probably be the TXNR801. It's not a particularly new model but it's definately got the punch and the digits to do the job. and at $799.99 it's a great buy.

5. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    "The AVR-525 has auto polling (I believe that's what it's called) on it's video-2 setting which allows the receiver to auto detect the incoming digital or analog signal when you switch between digital and analog cable channels."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Your suggestion worked like a charm! Thanks a million.

LouisP[​IMG]

6. fernandos

fernandos Auditioning

Your suggestion worked like a charm, thanks a million

Glad the solution worked. I'm using my AVR-525 strictly as a pre-amp but I absolutely love it. I'm getting the upgrade bug but I'm in no hurry right now.[​IMG]