Harman/Kardon AVR-520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Schell, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi!,

Looking for a second receiver to install in to the Family Room.

Any experiences with the AVR-520.

Low power ratings, however I am sure they are

very conservative.

As well I have my eye on the Marantz SR-8200.

Thanks for any info.

Pricing?

This receiver would be matched to Paradigm Studio 60's,,CC Studio center and Studio ADP's in the rear.

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Trevor:I own the 510 and I love it.The sound that it produces it very warm.I believe that the 520 is 85 watts/ch,the 510 is 75 but I also have 2 Rotel amps hooked up as well.No problems with it...The design is high-current so the 85 watts will definately feel powerful and will drive your speakers quite adequately.Price I paid was 900.CDN at Future Shop however the newer 520 will be more expensive...around $1600 or so.Regards...

3. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Hello Trevor

I have the avr 520, there is lots of power, you have to remember that even though it says 85 watts per channl, that is is real power.

I think the ar 8200 would be two much in price and features for a second room, then again depends how big that room is.

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

"I would suggest buying a H/K 320 or 520 and buying a separate amp to drive your 60's. Since the H/K has reasignable pre/outs it might be your perfect choice."

Breck,

If I'm not mistaken, only the 520 and 8000 have the abilty to re-assign (via cabling) the amp channels.

I don't beleive the 320 offers such.

John A. Casler

5. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Thanks for the information guys!..

Case solved..

I just purchased the Marantz SR-8200 today.

I was offered a price I could not refuse,infact not much more than what I would have had to spend on the H/K 520.