Harman Kardon AVR 520/Bose Acoustimass 15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josey M, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Josey M

Josey M Agent

Hello,
    I am a newbie here and enjoy this site more than you know.
    My problem is shopping for surround speakers with my better half (wife) at circuit city.
    They have poor sales personal and along with my wife testifying to BOSE is the best.
    Sorry for rambling.
    Anyway we bought the Bose AM 15 to go with my 3 month old HK Avr 520.
    I want rear Surrounds and Bose tech stated for me to drop the AM 15 and go with their dream system to hook up extra speakers. MORE MONEY.
    I am unable to.
    We have to eat this system for now.
    I know I have to get an Amp for the rears.
    Question: are there any 2 speakers that I can use to match the timber (spelling) with the WAY OVER PRICED BOSE?
    Please don't throw pies at me for buying Bose. Any guidance would be great.[​IMG]

2. RenoV

RenoV Agent

I don't think I follow, isn't the AM 15 a 6 speaker package(5 sat's and a bass module)?

And your HK 520 has a built in 5 channel amp so you wouldn't need to buy any extra amp for the rears...

3. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

You might just buy a couple of quality bookshelfs for surrounds and don't be to concerned about the perfect "timbre match." Make certain you select speakers for for full power discrete operation. Remember, this is not Dolby Pro, this is 5.1 with wall to wall power.

RenoV also has an excellent point. Your 520 has SL and SR. The amp would be required for SBL and SBR, 6.1, 7.1, ES, EX, blah, blah, blah.

Good luck

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    in a 6.1/7.1 setup, you would need to use the external output for the rear channel(s) and buy an additional one/two speakers. Bose makes a number of small bookshelf speakers that should work fine, such as the 161, as well as the VCS-30ii, which is their center and a pair of 161s.
    Personally, I would put the AM15 on Ebay, and get some better speakers. Many have said they are getting quite good prices for them on auction. You have a good reciever paired with speakers that don't even come close to doing it justice.

5. Josey M

Josey M Agent

Thanx for the help.
    Yes, I want to go 6.1 and 7.1
    Those Paragam speakers everybody talks about might just be the ticket. I'll shop around. Any reasonable sites for surrounds ?
    Thanks again!!

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have Paradigm all around, and I am very happy with them [​IMG]
    J and R has some deals on the Bose surrounds.
    Paradigm does not have any authorized online dealers, but you can check their site for dealers near you and speaker info: Paradigm

7. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

I had a buddy who had bose cubes up front and infinity bookshelf surrounds that matched the sound perfectly.

THe infinity speakers were their cheapest brand 1/2 inch tweeter and 5" mid/woof. They cost $60 or $70 4 years back.

THey blended perfectly and I mean perfectly. I own paradims and don't think the sound would blend too well.

And timbre is very important. In fact it's the most important item so ignore those who say ni.

hope this helps later.