Harman Kardon AVR 520 and X-Box Question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Beau B, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I just got both of these for Christmas and I had a question about the 5.1 sound. This receiver has Pro Logic 2 and Logic 7, which one is the best one to use when playing games? Also how do I play using DTS as well?

Thanks to all

2. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Most X-Box games are in Dolby Digital 5.1. Enjoy.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Your receiver should automatically lock on to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. DTS is a totally different format and software needs to be encoded in DTS to use it. DPL2 and Logic 7 are modes you should use on non-Dolby Digital sources as they provide a 5.1-like soundfield from stereo sources.

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I've gotta speak up here on something I tried first but we should point out to X-Box owners...
    Don't forget to set your X-Box to process at 5.1 from two channel... [​IMG]
    for AVR 320 and 520 owners...
    I tried Logic 7 decoding of the two channel (before resetting the X-Box to 5.1) Dolby Digital, and I am very impressed with the results!!! I keep flip flopping back and forth between 5.1 Dolby Digital, and Logic 7 on two channel Dolby Digital.
    Needless to say, once I get set up for 7.1, this will be the way to go.
    Any other 320 or 520 owners try this (or AVR 8000 owners on 7.1?)

5. TysonG

TysonG Auditioning

Here's my input:
    I got a complete set of Kenwood speakers from a HTB-505 system and a Onkyo SR500 receiver. I've been playing my XBOX in Pro-Logic 2, Stereo modes. Last night, I was changing some setting on receiver and the xbox when I suddenly noticed that the receiver switched to Digital mode!!!! I have a optical cable running to the receiver.
    Anyways, the sound was great! But, I noticed that the speakers would lose sound, and make high pitch tweets while playing the game.[​IMG]
    Then I played 2 movies to test the settings, and I didn't encounter any problems in Digital!!!! WTF?
    So, my question is should I switch my XBOX to 2 channel? Is the 5.1 setting causing this strange occurance?

6. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Take that baby back and get it replaced. My Xbox had a similar problem with digital playback(and if you look back to the launch several people had this problem). I took mine back and had it replaced. No problems since.