Harman Kardon AVR-230, Video Inputs Question....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Doh, Dec 12, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of buying this receiver but had a question about the video inputs. I want to connect all of my video sources into it, and then from there to the TV. Will I lose picture quality going this route? I do plan on having a DVI connection coming from my HD receiver to the TV directly for HD, but for all other (DVD player, Xbox) I want to go through the receiver. The reason I ask is because a while back I was considering the Kenwood 7080 and was told the component in plugs were rated really low and video loss would definitely occur. Is this HK receiver on the same boat?? Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

I looked it up and it states that the Component video bandwidth is only 30mhz, I think 50mhz is the lowest I would want to switch HDTV through myself. 100mhz is sort of current for most receivers on it.

3. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

This HK receiver is only 30mhz and the standard is 100mhz?? I thought HK was one of the better receivers?

I just read on HK's website where their top of the line receiver only does 50mhz. Where is there 100mhz at? So should I expect "less than spectacular" performance running my DVD player through the AVR-230? Like I mentioned before, the HD signal is going direct from my Sammy tuner to the Sammy DLP via a DVI connection, no receiver throughput. Am I ok here??

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, I think DVD required bandwidth is fairly low. I would think it would be fine for DVD video.

I really only said that about true HDTV.

Mine older Denon is 50mhz as well, but all the newest latest greatest stuff seems to indicate 100mhz.

I will out of necessity be switching all my stuff through my reciever.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

For DVD I think you will be alright. 100MHz is really overkill I think. 50MHz would be more than enough to transfer a signal and for DVD I think 30MHz would be fine... in terms of video loss I don't think there would really be anything noticeable if there was any degradation. I have the AVR-225 which doesn't have component but using the S-Video I see no loss what so ever.