Harman Kardon AVR 220 Receiver and Harmon Kardon HKTS5 Speaker SystemCombo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Mc, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

I've just purchased the H/K 220 receiver and the H/K HKTS 5 speaker system online and am awaiting their arrival. I listened to both but they were setup in a wide-open area of a showroom, and just music CDs were listened to, not DVDs. I know that this was not the best environment to gauge HT equipment performance. The setup did sound good though. Since I am a newbie to HT, I wanted to know what others opinions are on this purchase. I've read the reviews of both items and they receive good ratings. Just that I haven't heard any comments when both components are matched up.

Thanks to all for any words of wisdom on this purchase.

Tony

2. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    I just started a thread asking opinions on the HK 320 and the HKTS 10's! I can get a sweeeeeeeeet deal on them (or anything HK for that matter) and I just want to make sure that I'm making a wise decision here. You say that the 220 with HKTS 5's sound good? But just how good? [​IMG]

3. Tony Mc

As I said in my post, the H/K 220 and H/K HKTS-5 speakers had a nice sound. Unfortunately, the two systems were set-up in an open area at a Circuit City. And I also only listened to music Cds. But based on my previous knowledge of Harman Kardon and the sound that the HKTS-5 put out, I made a decision to purchase both systems. Hopefully I made a wise choice.

What prices are you getting on the H/K 320 and the HKTS-5 speakers?

4. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

My brother works for a distributor of HK/JBL/Infinity products (no, I can't afford infinity, at least I don't think [​IMG] ) and I can get the stuff for -50%. Pretty sweet huh? I was also looking at a set of JBL speakers but I tend to want to keep everything HK for some reason...

5. Tony Mc

Thanks much for the replies. But I'm still looking for opinions on how the two systems sound when setup together.

6. Tony Mc

Any other opinions on this subject??

7. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

I am also cerious on the Harman Kardon HKTS 5

8. Tony Mc

I finally opted for the Infinity HTS-20 Speaker System.

My decision was based on listening to the H/K and the Infinity speaker systems one day in a Circuit City.

The Infinity was about $300 more, but the sound was much more impressive. Nice full sound, good for DVD viewing and music. Since I've had the Infinity speaker system (about 1 year), I'm very pleased with the choice that I made.

Hope this helps.

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Excellent move. The HK speakers sound small despite the attempts made by it's better then average subwoofer.

The Infinities are in another league as they should be based on price.