Harman Kardon AVR-135 vs Yamaha HTR-5840 - opinions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter Hunt, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if I could use your educated brains for a second. Looking at the two above recievers and wondering what you thought. In the States they price about the same ($300USD) but in Canada where I am buying the HK is double the price $700CAD vs the Yamaha for $350 CAD.

1. Is the HK that much better or is the Canadian pricing just not balanced?

2. HKs watts are way lower then other recievers but I've "heard" that they are a much cleaner signal or something so they perform at a higher level then the specs suggest. Any truth to this?

3. I'm not a big bells and whistles guy, more about quality/performance.

4. pairing the reciever with Mission speakers, if that means anything.

Here's links to the specs

Harmon Kardon AVR 135

Yamaha HTR 5840

Essentially if they're the same I will snag the Yamaha up here, if the HK is much better I'm going to give it some thoughts. Any help and educated opions you care to share would be great. I aprreciate your time and thoughts.

Peter

2. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

I am an H/K owner. Yes the H/K reciever will have more guts than the wattage will imply. since you wanted quality over bells and whistles I would say the 135 is right up your alley. But I dont think it is worth twice as much as the Yamaha. I think Yamaha is a great product, I have owned a lot of their stuff in the past. If you want the H/K maybey you can find another source for a better price. If not then I would go for the Yamaha and be happy. Use the money you saved for buying DVD's to enjoy.

3. Peter Hunt

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the imput. You confirmed what my gut was telling me but it's always great to hear someone else say the same thing. It's odd what a price difference the HK retails for in the States. Maybe I will pick something up when I'm down there for a trip and bring it back up with me. Until I get the rest of my speakers, I have lots of time to change my mind over and over again about receivers [​IMG]

Peter

4. John S

John S Producer

With that sort of cost desparity, I'd go with the Yamaha as well. I have installed three Yammy 5890's recently, and I have fallen in love with the product.

5. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Check out Harman Audios website. Not sure about shipping and taxes, but there are refurbed 130s and 135s that put you close to the Yammy price point.

6. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

There seem to be something wrong with HK's pricing policy in Canada. If you buy from the U.S. and something goes wrong you have to send the unit to the dealer in the U.S. for warranty repair. A Yamaha 5860 is a much bette value, at least in Canada. If you don't mind giving up the Canadian warranty, you should consider going for the 235 instead of the 135. The 235 offers 7 channels, more power, and pre-outs.

7. KenKusan

KenKusan Extra

Harman Kardon Dolby Digital Receiver (AVR135) is on sale for 700-200=500$ + taxes at Future Shop, sale ends 9/22/05

8. Peter Hunt

Thanks for the replies on the HKs in Canada. The timing of it being on sale at Future Shop was pretty good. Pretty decent mark up on it to knock off that much for a sale.

Well I have made no decisions as I got called out of town for a business trip for a while. I'll do some lurking then pick something up once I'm back home.

My poor new speakers, sitting at home all alone in their boxes. What a shame!

Peter