Harman Kardon AVR 125: remote control programming problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jack Ferry, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    My Harman Kardon AVR-125 sounds great, but programming the remote control is a real pain. I've gone through the convoluted instructions from the owner's manual several times, and the results are never satisfactory. No matter how I program it, it seems to lose the ability to control volume (and most other functions) as soon as it's programmed in any way. Even if I leave it in the default mode (clearing all programming) the volume will (seemingly) only work until I hit any other button.

Has anyone else had similar problems, or figured out how to work this thing?

Edit: the remote is HK's standard AVR125 remote. It does not have Learning capability.

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have only used mine to control the receiver. Sometimes I accidentally hit a different input and then I cannot control the volume until I hit the AVR button again. I have used this remote on and off. I had to move my system once I started building my theater so I have been using the receivers remote instead of my Harmony for a few months.

3. Nicholas Wang

I've had the same experience as Thomas.

You can change a setting on the remote for volume control punch through - so you can control the receiver's volume with the volume buttons even when the remote is set to control another device. You'll have to change the punch through setting for each additional device (i.e. it's not a global setting).

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Punch through is the way to go. You need to press the mute button and the device that you want to use at the same time. Then hit the volume up button and then the avr selector. That will tell the avr to use the volume even when you are controlling the other device through the remote- such as your dvd player, etc.

5. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Thanks. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.