What's new

harman kardon avr 120 (1 Viewer)

Jon_p_s

Stunt Coordinator
Does this really not have very much power? It says 40w x5 and 50w x2. That does not seem like very much to me. Would this be a very good option for me? I would be using it in a room about 12x15. Perhaps after awhile i could add an amp for the front speakers.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Jon,

As the 120 has no pre-outs, you would not be able to add external amping in the future. H/K's are quite incremental in their power as you go up the scale until the jump to the 5 series. But while the power of the 120 is conservatively rated and would match or exceed it's published rating under any circumstances, you need to think about the future. If an all-in-one receiver with no upgrade path is what you need, the 120 will serve admirably. Otherwise, you will need to move the bar higher. Especially if you like to listen to HT or Stereo at loud levels and/or have speakers which have low sensitivity. IMO entry receivers like the 120 are best suited to a secondary system but many owners run them quite ably as primaries.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I have an HK 110 running 86db NHT's in a 23x13 room backed up by an SVS. No problems playing as loud as I can stand, but I know I'm at the edge of the amp's power. If I could have one thing, it would be pre-outs. That way I could be lookng for just an amp, not for a new seprates or receiver n a few years.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I just got the AVR125 and got it all hooked up in my huge living room with 20+ Cathedral ceilings. It gets as loud as I can stand. I don't think you will have a problem with the 120. H/K's power ratings are accurate and often understated. Most other "100x5" Receivers wish they had the power of the H/K.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jon,
Short answer...no. FYI, along with the Harman site you can always go to www.crutchfield.com. They feature extremely thorough info and photos front and rear on the models they sell. When in doubt, go the photos.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an H/K 120 and it plays louder and cleaner than my old JVC 6020. I don't think you will have any power issues, although future upgradeability is something you should consider...

Bill Street

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks