Harman Kardon 520 question

DavidAM

Second Unit
I have the HK 520 reciever. On some TV channels, usually my high def. channels, it will activate Dolby Digital with Pro Logic II at the same time. I don't mind this but it doesn't send a signal to my sub. It also won't let me switch to any other mode. This also happened on a DVD the other day....not a movie but the Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD. Is there anyway around this so I can get my sub playing when it goes in this mode?

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
While you're on that input and are tuned to one of those channels, use the receiver's menu to enable the subwoofer and choose a crossover. This should enable the subwoofer for that 'mode' (i.e. stereo, DPLII, etc).

Also, it sounds like the receiver is being sent a 2-channel Dolby Digital stream. Most receivers will automatically activate Dolby ProLogic I/II/IIx when fed such a stream. You should be able to turn off the ProLogic decoding, and then you'll have plain-ole stereo.

You won't be able to select any of the other modes -- i.e. DTS Neo 6, Logic 7, etc -- because those are not available when listening to a 2-channel DD stream. I'm not sure if there is some legal/licensing reason for this, or if the receiver's DSPs simply don't have enough processing power.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex