What's new

Harman Kardon 3375/3475 or Marantz PM7000 (1 Viewer)

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking for a stereo receiver/integrated amp and want to get some opinions on these three units.

Onecall has the HK 3375 for $270.92 and the 3475 for $343.73. The Marantz PM7000 is $350 refurbished. Normally I would go with a Marantz but I am considering the HK (3375) because all HTF'ers say the HK units wattage are modestly rated so how would HK's 75 watts compare to the Marantz 95 watts. Plus the HK has an extra year of warranty, positive feedback on their customer service and saving an extra $100 does tip the scale in favor of the HK for me :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are two PM7000s on audiogon right now, and one of them is going for $275, and that is a great deal.

The PM7000's amp section is HDAM, so the 95wpc is a conservative rating (rises to 150 @ 4 Ohms, so it is more like their monoblocks). I am using it in my bedroom system and I can tell you it pumps out a lot of clean power for the price. I picked my demo unit up for $350 with full warranty.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Harman Audio (HK factory store) has the 3375-Z Refurb, for $198 and 3475-Z for $266. You usually can get them for less on their Ebay store. I purchased a 3470-Z, this spring, for about $180. It powers some Infinity IL-30s for my daughters room. The only negative I would give it, is the FM section is not the best. I have no idea how it compares to the Marantz, though.

JohnS

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have a 3375 in my office, hooked up to a couple of older JBL bookshelves and a small sub, and it really sounds great.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
John (Garcia :)), I already had the PM7000 on order and was thinking about ordering the HK to compare the two units, even though Ive seen some great deals on audiogon I think Ill pass. Im ok with refurbished but not used or so called brand new on auction sites since Ive had a negative experience before.

To my suprise the PM7000 arrived today a couple of hours after my post, earlier than I expected! I just finished listening to a couple of albums. Talk about power, three clicks of the volume on the remote is already louder than my regular listening level. The stereo performance blows away the SR6200 I used to have, it also brought my old Infinity speakers to a level Ive never achieved with receivers. One thing John, is it just me or have you also notciced that the PM7000 seems to be missing the traditional Marantz warmth to the sound? Rock sounds so much more lively and has so much more kick on the PM7000.

One more question, am I correct to assume that amps are supposed to last longer than receivers because of their simpler designs (what a friend told me)?

~And yet one last question, can you guys recommend some good banana plugs? How about these, the only pack I could find for a stereo configuration on ebay.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd actually take used over refurb, as long as I get good feedback from the seller. I like to know it was in use and working fine (hopefully not too long).

It's kind of funny because I also used to own a 6200, and the 7000 absolutely slaughters in in terms of power. The 7000 has plenty of kick, more detail than the 6200 ever had, and it comes very close to my 8300. My normal listening level is about 1/4 on the dial, so this thing is never even breaking a sweat. I have tried it out with a number of different speakers, and all sounded great. I am very happy with it. I am sure it will meet my needs for a long time to come.

The difference in life span is probably not too much different, but I'd say an integrated, with less parts to break, will last longer. I like the fact that the unit has no display, is very simple and uncluttered.

Those bananas look good for the price. If not, take a look at the WBTs at www.partsexpress.com. I use solid, bare wire from Audioquest.

I am using this guy with Mordaunt Short 902s, a sister company of Marantz, so they pair up very well. The sound is wonderfully detailed, and this setup is able to capture very subtle detail and depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks