Harman K AVR7200 vs. NAD T763?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Bee, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mark Bee

Mark Bee Extra

Does anyone have a comparison or opinion between these two surround receivers? I think the HK as an automatic speaker setup via a mike in the remote as opposed to the NAD with manual speaker setup.

Wondering about power comparison, quality, and etc.

Thanks

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes the HK has "EZSet" which has the mic in the remote. It's not the best but it does a decent job.

Other than that they are both quality units I think, but the HK AVR-7200 is the flagship for HK so it is gonna give you just a tad more than the NAD I think.

I also know HK is great customer support, not sure on NAD but i'm sure they are good with it too..

3. Mike.K

Mike.K Auditioning

Hi. I bought the NAD T763 receiver last December. I absolutely love it.
    It has plenty of power and was easy to set up, although i haven't used an SPL metre to calibrate channel levels yet. Plenty of inputs/outputs, a very intuitive OSD. One thing i really like is that it has preouts for 7 channels. The only downside so far is one of the cooling fans is a little on the noisy side, which to me, is a minor annoyance.

100w X 6, 130w X 2. I can't speak to the power of the Marantz but NAD ratings are always conservative. I have an older NAD 2200pe 2 channel amp rated at 100w/channel, however, testing showed 135w left channel and 133w right so i would assume that the T763's ratings are also listed conservatively as well.

It may be a personal bias, but i'd go with the NAD.

Have fun! [​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm about to trade up to an NAD T763 after owning a T762 for a little while. The only problem has been the documented "digital signal lock" issue - do a search with T762 and signal lock and you'll probably find it (do it here and at www.avsforum.com in the audio/amps section).

Doesn't really bother me though because I use the DACs in my CD player and my DVD/DVD-Audio player (and when I get a combo SACD/DVD/DVD-A player I'll have to use those DACs). But if you're going to use the DACs in the T763 for CDs it might be an issue. I tested out using the DACs for movies (optical out from my RP91 to the T762) and the signal lock issue isn't an issue.

I'm upgrading simply because I have a good deal from my dealer since I recently bought the T762 and the T763 just came out right after my purchase.

I have 4 ohm speakers (MB Quarts) which choked and nearly overheated my old Sony STR-DA555ES. I was so surprised to hear how the T762 drove them. I re-discovered CD music. It's amazing how much of a difference that real power (vs. manufacturer's ratings) makes. I'm sure the H/K (which is well respected here in HTF) provides real power too, but not having owned one I cannot give you a head-to-head evaluation.

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I bouht HK7200 in DEC. AWESOME it is! Their power ratings are good and accurate. It drives my stereo setup very well. Cooling Fan does not make any noticeable noise.
    Ofcourse I cannot compare with NAD since I have not heard them. But when I compared with Denon 3803, Ifelt HK better.
    my two cents..... [​IMG]

6. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

The only thing that I can say with confidence, is that the H&K has more features...It is not H&K's flagship anymore, the 7300 is....You can get the H&K for $800 online, I dont think you can get the NAD for that little.

The rest is subjective. Some will like NAD some will like H&K, listen to both...

Rich

7. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Where is 7300 ? I don't see it on HK website either.

8. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Carlo Medina just sent you a pm

9. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Got it Mike, sent you one back! [​IMG]