What's new

Harman 325 receiver: trying to get digital and analog sound from from my HDTV box, also.... (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

When i watch TV, i need to keep switching things on my receiver to get sound, its awfull. There has to be a way for it to switch it itself?

So if i watch HDTV, my receiver will say "Video 3/Coax 1".

If i watch digital/cable tv i need to change the input on my TV to "video 1" from COMP HD 1, then go into my on screen display on my receiver and change the setting from "Video 3/Coax 1" to "Video 3/ANALOG".
Then vice versa for when i want to watch something on HDTV.
There must be a easier way?
I have a Harmon 325 receiver and my Tv is a Toshiba HDTV HX.

Here is the way my system is hooked up. If i can set it another way to make life easier, please let me know.

This is all from RECEIVER to where i say its going:

Moniter out s-video TO s-Video 1 on TV

Moninter out analog TO Video 2 analog on TV

vid 2 in, analog picture TO VCR out picture

vid 3 in, S-video TO s-video on HDTV box

moniter: component video TO colorstream 1 on TV

DvD component video TO DVD player

vid 2 component video TO component video on HDTV box

optical 2 TO x-box

optical 1 TO DvD player

digital coaxial 1 TO HDTV box

vid 2 sound - VCR audio out

vid 3 sound - HDTV box, audio out

x-box comp video TO colorstream 2 on TV

Vid 1 in and vid 1 analog sound TO gamecube

- So on the receiver i set it to "video 3/ coax 1" to watch HDTV.

- when i flip it to normal/digital cable there is no sound. I realize its because the "coax 1" is being used and thats only for the HDTV, but how do you set it so i don't need to switch it on the receiver to get sound for normal cable?

Thanks a ton guys, any other tips on my hook up would be great.

Dustin

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This strikes me as primarily a question about setting up the Harman 325 receiver. So I'm moving it to Receivers. I'll also edit the title.

M.

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

Do a search for the details, but I can tell you that the 325 will auto detect, but you have to use Video 2. I believe it requires using Coax2 for digital, and setting the audio mode for analog. It will always monitor Coax2 (when input is Vid2) for a signal, and use it if present. Otherwise, it goes analog. Try it and see.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Worked great Baldemer.

Next question:
The only way to get the full wide screen when watching cable/digital is with my "S-video". I cannot get full screen when watching digital/cable with component video.

Is there a way to watch full wide screen with component video?

What i mean is when full comp video is select then picture ONLY comes in 4:3 unless i'm watching a HDTV channel, then it comes in 16:9.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What i mean is when full comp video is select then picture ONLY comes in 4:3 unless i'm watching a HDTV channel, then it comes in 16:9.
That's the way it works with the component connection from your cable box. That's an HD signal -- either native broadcast or upconverted by the box. Your Toshiba TV will not allow you to change the aspect ratio on the HD input.

If you want to retain aspect ratio control, you'll have to watch non-HD broadcasts through the S-video connection.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks