Hardwood Floor Cleaning?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael_K_Sr, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    Has anyone used a steam-type hard surface cleaner on hardwood floors? How were the results? I've had my sister staying with me for the last two months while her house has gone through a complete remodeling. Unfortunately, she also brought her dog and cat and in addition to the dirt that they track around, I can also detect certain "smells" around the house. She's going to be moving out soon and I intend on giving the whole house a thorough stem to stern cleaning. For my large area rugs I'm just going to rent a steam cleaner. But what's the best way to clean the hardwood floors? Do the hard surface cleaners work well or would I just be best served by continuing to use Murphy's Oil soap?

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Don't use steam on your wood. You will be forcing hot moisture into the floor which could induce swelling or warping. There is nothing better for wood floors than Murphy's oil soap on a slightly damp not soaking, rag or mop.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If the floors are Bruce hardwood don't use anything but their proprietary cleaner. If they're standard hardwood Murphy's is good stuff.

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The above posters are correct......

Several years ago, a friend had his hardwood floors ruined by a cleaning lady who actually used a bleach in her mop water.... not once, but several times. Moving the throw rugs revealed this "bleaching" as she had been mopping around the rugs.......... needless to say, my friend changed cleaning ladies.......

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

DO NOT USE MURPHYS!!!!!! I'll get to why in a second. A previous poster is right.....do not use anything that will force moisture in the wood. If you are smelling urine you may have an issue. Urine stains CAN'T be removed from hard wood. The stain will turn black and the boards will need to be replaced. Refinishing also will not get rid of it. It soaks into the entire piece of wood. If it is not yet set in than wash it immediately. When you wash the area rugs move them to a place where there is no wood floor under them since anything that does not get sucked back in doesn't sit ther forever.

As to why not to use Murphys......Murphys has wax in it. Contrary to popular belief wax is TERRIBLE for wood floors. The wax penetrates the wood. When it is time to refinish the floors you will have a terrible time. After sanding the finish off when you try to put new poly down the wood will actually resist the poly causing it to bubble and look downright AWFUL. I refinish and lay floors on the side and have run into this issue several times. The best product I know of to clean a wood floor is called Bona. Look for and and use it and please stop using Murphys......

6. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I refinish and repair antique furniture and use murphy's to clean pieces that are covered in attic or barn dirt. I have never had an issue refinishing after. However, I do not put the plastic poly on my furniture, I use a hand rubbed polymerized tung oil. And on my wood floors that I installed, I used hand rubbed tung oil as well.

I haven't heard of issues with murphy's so I guess I'd better research.

7. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

So far, I've read that Murphy Oil soap does not contain any wax and that it is recommended by the National Wood Flooring Association. I have some queries in to the company to see if they contain a wax. I also did learn that it is called Murphy Oil Soap, no 's'.

Please site your sources for the statement that wax is not good for wood.

From the Royal BC Museum's web site; "Before the next celebration begins, we should think about waxing those pieces that receive a lot of use. But we will abandon silicone-based sprays, lemon oil and other oils with the excesses of the past - they can interact with existing finishes. A little clear paste wax will enhance the shine of an already polished surface while providing some protection against scratches and moisture. Apply as thin a coat as possible, and polish well with a soft cloth. We won't overdo it, though. Three or four times a year is enough partying for any old furniture."

And I have also read a lot and no where have I read where it says wax is bad for wood. If wax is used on museum quality Chippendale furniture, I would think it would be fine on floors.

I am not a spokesman for Murphy, I just know what works for me. And if I hear otherwise, I'd like to see the research to back it up.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Go to www.doityourself.com Go on the hardwood flooring forum sections and ask about Murphys. You will get responces for people who have done hardwood floors and are REAL pros' who spend their lives doing and studying the craft....not the National Woodfloor Association.

Use Murphys if you want......I am just trying to help........

Murphys doesn't list wax......odd.....Does Bose list their speakers frequency responces??....nope....wonder why??

9. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Hey, no problem, I'm just trying to find out information. I went to the website you mentioned and did a search on Murphy's and couldn't find any information saying it was bad, in fact all I found was 3 references to Murphy's and none delt with issues on flooring.

If I'm using something with good results and then I read somewhere that it's no good, I like to research to see if others are having the same issues so that I can discontinue use if I find correlating information.

In this case, I couldn't find any correlating information that would make me stop using it. I will keep an eye out now though.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor