What's new

Hardwiring low-voltage lighting? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
How are you guys hooking up your ropelights and such?

Here's my dilema:

I'm planning on incorporating my basement's support pole into a bar. However, this means there will be a steel "I" beam directly over the bar. I plan to enclose the beam in drywall, but I'd also like some lighting over the bar. Since the beam is there, I can't go recessed. So, I thought maybe I could use some of those low-voltage under-cabinet lights instead.

I would like them switched, preferrably on a dimmer. But, all the one's I've seen come with a step-down transformer and a standard two pronged plug.

How can I wire 'em to a standard wall switch/dimmer and not have a cord hanging to be plugged in?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
In short, yes. I did just that with my rope light. See my link below. I have not updated my site...but all connections do take place within a "box" so everything IS code! Have fun! :D

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
No experience with the under cabinet lights but I did the same as Erik with my rope lights. Cut the plug off and just hardwire them to some 12-2 that's contained in a junction box.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
The under cabinet halogen lights you mention are now available in 120v. I recently bought 4 6-packs from home depot. I've had experience with the low volts and found working with dimmers unsatisfactory. I've just hard wired a set of 5 under my kitchen cabinets illuminating white tiles. Light is white, clean and has a wide dimming range. I used a heavy duty barrier strip to run all the can wires to, then made one home run to the switch. Make sure to plug them in and play with orientation as they have a directional pattern. Same price as the old low volts, minus the wall wart transformer as well! Tip: Ideally, toss the Chinese screws that are included or if you use them beware stripped heads. Good luck!
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks