Hardware?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Nov 11, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Today, www.dvdfile.com reported that next spring, Buena Vista will be releasing a movie called Hardware. Is this the same 1990 film called Hardware that was directed by Richard Stanley?
    It's been years since I've seen this movie, but I always loved the music in it...it had Ministry and Iggy Pop in it.
    What a pleasant little gem, hopefully it'll be 16x9 enhanced.

2. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Oh man, I HOPE it's that one. I'm a huge fan of the film, and still listen to the soundtrack at least once a month or so. HARDWARE has never really achieved the cult status I hoped it would, but it really is a great flick. I'll pick this one up the day it comes out.

3. Rob Stidham

Rob Stidham Extra

This is certainly a suprise! I had read an interview with Stanley recently that implied the current ownership rights to Hardware (and his second film, the underrated Dust Devil - still MIA on DVD) were pretty much unknown. Miramax did have a hand in releasing the picture (along with Millimeter Films), so a Buena Vista release makes sense. I'm hoping it's at very least in OAR; a Stanley commentary and director's cut would be just beyond perfect.
    Scrath off another from my top 10 "waiting for dvd" list!
    ....this is what you want, this is what you get

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yes!
    Consider me a huge fan, and constant proponent, of this underviewed film. It's and excellent horror film with a great soundtrack.
    I remember catching some word before its release that it was originally rated an X for the violence in it. Is this true? The film doesn't appear to be missing much gore in my opinion, so I'm curious about how much had to be cut.
    This will make a welcome removal from my "must have when released" list.

5. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

Oh man!! If this is true, it's a must buy for me, and time to toss out my old VHS version. [​IMG]

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

"Millimeter" Films IS Miramax. It was a shadow company of sorts that they used to release both genre films like HARDWARE and "failed" movies that they wanted to dump off quietly like Molly Ringwald in STRIKE IT RICH or GIRL IN A SWING. They stopped using the alias when they decided to create the Dimension label.
    Last I checked, DUST DEVIL still belonged to Miramax as well, though it may be in limbo due to the imminent expiration of their old output deal with Paramount; Paramount released the tape previously.
    Seeing the current state of DVD affairs at Disney, I fear we will be stuck with the R-rated cut of HARDWARE. HBO Video I think did release an unrated version on laserdisc, albeit pan-scanned or unmatted from its OAR of 1.85:1.

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    VERY cool news.

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

OH MY GOD!!!!!
    WOW! I've just been browsing upcoming releases on DeepDiscountDVD.com and see this, no actors, no year, just title, and my hopes go up that this is that Hardware, the movie that's missing from my Top10 films of all time due to absense of a DVD release with Stacey Travis and Dylan McDermott, and it is!!! Oh my god!! I've been wishing for this for years, got VHS at first, then a full screen LD.
    There is an uncut LD in Japan, which I couldn't get, I hope it'll be the uncut version but probably just a Pan&scan LD port of a US version. I really hope for a commentary or something, wow!
    I just noticed it, I must have missed the DVDFile "announcement", they probably sandwitched it in a long list of titles, like Stallone's Oscar, which is coming to DVD as well!
    Goddamn I'm so happy!!!
    !!!!#$O*&@(*&%($!!!!
    I love the movie, the Iggy Pop as Angry Bob, Lemmy the boat driver, Ministry, "this is what you want, this is what you get" Public Image LTD, the acting, the lighting, the atmosphere, it's awesome!
    "I just think it's stupid, sadistic, and suicidal to have children these days" - Jill [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Glad there is another fan out there. I don't have many hopes of any extras, but I drool at the prospect of seeing an uncut version.

Perhaps in a couple of months we'll see some more detail on this one.