Hardware Radio Control Switch????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris-C, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Hi again;

On my wireless laptop-I have to "enable" the wireless radio before it will search for signal's.

The problem is that when I click on "enable" the radion in the toolbar-I get the message " use the hardware radio control switch to enable it" ????

Tried looking in the control panel,but can't find any reference to what is a "hardware radio control switch" or where to find it.

When this happened a long time ago-I just kept trying to enable it the regular-right click way-and eventually it came on one day.

Just wondering if any of you know the correct way to get this thing enabled.

Laptop is an emachine

Thanks
    CC

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    some laptops have a button on them that yo use to turn on wifi... is there one on your emachien? it should have a symbol like a little antenna with waves coming off of it

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yes, there should be a small button somewhere next to the power button that enables the wireless function. I have run into this on numerous laptops, the latest being an Averatec model notebook. It is sort of inconvenient, but it makes sense when you realize that you can't have the wireless feature enabled if you are going to use the laptop in a place where you need to be hardwired to the LAN.

4. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

You guys Nailed it! That was it!

Never knew what that button was for-

It's right next to the Hibernate button,and has some wierd lines on it that could mean anything.

I usually enable the radio, as I said from the toolbar-where the icon is more obvious-by right clicking on it.

My laptop didn't come with a book to show what all the buttons do-I guess the manual is loaded on the harddrive somewhere,but i've never really used it (obviously).

Many thanks
    CC