What's new

Hardware Cable HookUp Help (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Just bought my denon avr1602- and am confused about hooking up the audio/video cables

Starting with the TV- it has s-video & regular audio outs. Now I have it hooked to dvd w/ a s-video cable & 2 audio cables to the old receiver. To hook up to new receiver I assume i run audio out from tv to audio-in in receiver and leave the s-video hooked up to dvd player.

I know how to hook up the vcr, but the dvd player I m not so sure. I know i need an digital cable from dvd to receiver and can use either a coax or toslink cable. What else do I need to hook up? Do I need a complete set of audio & video cables from dvd to receiver?

And from receiver to TV, assuming I leave my s-video from dvd to tv I will need to hook up my receiver to the tv from a monitor out RCA hookup to the video input to the tv -correct?

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hey Johnson,

For the dvd, yes, S-video out from the dvd player to the tv is correct. You say you can go optical or coax out for sound...either will work (i prefer coax, not as fragile). Just use coax out..thats all you need.

As far as the tv sound to your receiver just use two analog rca's (no video) from the receiver's tv out to left right in on the tv. You should be all set.

- Chip

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
maybe im confused but my receiver has no audio out to the tv. the only audio out goes to vcr or cdr/tape. why would I run audio out from receiver to in-tv. doesnt the tv send the audio signal to the receiver? i know its not rocket science but I dont want to screw anything up :)
for a large picture of my receiver hook ups see http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Ug1...602&display=XL
just a follow up- can i just hook my vcr audio to receiver & video out from vcr to tv-in ? Im assuming the receiver only deals with audio. ? :confused:

Chip E

Screenwriter
"maybe im confused but my receiver has no audio out to the tv."

Look directly to the left of the coax output on your receiver under the audio connections... it say tv/dbs. this is your audio out to your tv. I'm assuming your using the tuner in tv right? Whatuya got cable? This is the way to go.Sometimes you look right at something and don't see it! Lol, happens to me too.

- Chip

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
yes, me again. still cornfused- that says audio in ? i would check my manual but right now Im hard at work :D

Vin

Supporting Actor
just a follow up- can i just hook my vcr audio to receiver & video out from vcr to tv-in ? Im assuming the receiver only deals with audio. ?
Johnson, video inputs on the back of your receiver, S-video and composite video (the type that uses a yellow RCA jack) are an option for people who don't have enough video inputs on their TV. In other words, if you had more video sources than your TV had video inputs, you would run all of your video sources to the receiver. (Also, the receiver would then have to be connected to your TV with both composite video AND S-video because most receivers aren't capable of converting composite video to S-video.....your TV must have two SEPARATE video inputs to connect both composite and S-video AT THE SAME TIME).

Now the receiver will serve as a switching device, i.e., audio and video can be switched from the receiver.

So, if your TV can accomodate all of your video sources you can connect them directly to your TV, however, you may still want to consider taking advantage of your receiver's video switching capability. Some people claim the direct-to-TV connection is better than routing video signals through the receiver. It really depends on the receiver though, so the only way to know is to try it both ways and compare.

As far as audio from your TV is concerned, it's best to connect any audio signals directly from the source to the receiver. So, connect the left and right stereo cables from your cable box/satellite receiver directly to your A/V receiver to enjoy audio playback in DPL, DPL II, or even DD if your cable box/satellite receiver is capable of passing a digital bitstream via an optical or digital coaxial cable.

Also, you might want to keep the RF cable in place that runs from your cable box/satellite receiver to your VCR and then to your TV...this will allow you to watch TV (cable/satellite programming and video tape) without turning on your A/V receiver if you chose to do so.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks