What's new

Hardest /Most Frustrating Task to Accomplish In Video Games? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Re: TMNT
I don't think I've ever beaten that game either. Chalk that one up as an impossible task.
BTW, has anybody ever beaten Resident Evil: Code Veronica in one sitting? I haven't.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Like I said before, I remember getting to Shredder. He just crushed me though. You only had so much you could do to him as I could recall. Or I would just get to him in the end with only Rafael... whom I recall being almost useless in the game.

Glen

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, done it. Beat it. Several times in fact.
I've beat that one. If I remember correctly, in one of the last levels (I think the level before the Technodrome?)there is an area where you can get the 'scroll' weapon-leave the area-then return for another. Just keep doing this for each turtle and blow through the rest of the game.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Beating ANY level halfway into the campaign in Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels, on 3DO.
That game was STUPID tough. :frowning:

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Oh, getting through Super Ghouls and Ghosts only to find out you have to play through it again to actually "finish" it. I could get to the last boss the 2nd time through, but always died there.

Anyone who can beat Battletoads on the NES is a complete god as far as I'm concerned. I played that game forever and couldn't get much farther than the stupid level where you had to climb the snakes. Ouch.

I really miss the challenge that came with those old NES games. The Ninja Gaiden series was the coolest ever (I still love the cutscenes, and the games were super difficult). And as far as the Castlevania series is concerned, I still think that they need to remake number 3 with updated graphics (it was the easiest of the 8-bit ones to beat, but most fun in terms of characters).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the 8-bit days had some of the most maddeningly difficult games ever. TMNT, Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden.

And dont forget Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES and GBA!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Playing through Timesplitters 2 right now I am reminded of the horror of unlocking EVERYTHING in Timesplitters one. God that was horrifying! Unlocked everything, then my memory card dies a few months later. I had to resort to a gameshark the second time, and even then it is tough to do.

Unlocking a lot already in TS2, but damn is it tough to get everything!

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Yup.. NES Ghosts N' Goblins was the hardest one that I can remember. It tops Castlevania and pretty much anything else with that style of gameplay as far as difficulty is concerned.
You also had to play through the whole thing twice in order to win the game. Horrible! Maddening! but sweeeet when I pulled it off :)
After I finished it, I never picked it up again.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Part of the reason those games were so much harder is that they didn't let you save and continue forever like so many games do today. I bet some of these games would seem quite as tough if you played on a emulator that let you save (although I did that with Punch Out and still couldn't get passed Macho Man, but that's because just about every DPad on a PC gamepad sucks monkey balls).

I could probably get through Battletoads now because I could try the level I was stuck at over and over again, instead of just once or twice.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Dome.. It must have taken me about a month or so of practicing, and then I think it took me somewhere on the order of 7 to 8 hours to get through it all one day. It was a long time ago, and I was a lot younger then, so my memory of the timeframe may be a bit off. But I'll never forget finishing it.
It was the most deflating feeling to think I had beaten the game only to have it tell me to do it all again. I can't believe I had the will to go through it a second time in one sitting.
Getting through the devil's castle twice over, full of those pain in the ass red flying demons, it was the worst thing you can imagine. I guess I was a persistent little fellow back then ;)
I am glad there is someone else like you who knows what a difficult game that was (or is).

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Here's another one for SOCOM:
Playing a night of SOCOM and not getting dropped from the server 6 or 7 times. :angry:
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (DC) - There were many tough moments in that game. However, it is still one of the most gorgeous games I have ever seen. I also thought it was a very fun game
-Dean-

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I think the most frustrating part about the original TMNT game was the control. Trying to fine-tune how hard you press the jump button on an NES controller redefines the term "frustration." I never did get very far in the game, but the control drove me so nuts that I rarely even wanted to play the game.
As for Ninja Gaiden, I actually beat that game finally about three years ago in college. I don't think I will ever attempt that again :D.
I'll throw in another vote for Blaster Master. The crab boss was/is incredibly difficult.
Also ... the final palace in Zelda II. I only once actually found the boss and that was by accident. And those damn jumping bird-knight guys ... :angry:

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
The Crab in Master Blaster, finishing any Ninja Gaiden, Quiting EverCrack and finishing Diablo 2.

Dean

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, a good question. Let's see..

Finishing FF1-This game holds the record for the longest it's taken me to finish an RPG-almost 3 months. The problem was that two or three hour stretch you needed to get to and fight chaos. Added frustration-not knowing what the "respond rate" meant (it's not in the manual) and playing the whole game at the default speed of slow as hell.

Castlevania-Medusa heads. Nuff said

Ninja gaiden-I finished 2 and 3, but the first one took a game genie... damn hard game.

Re FF Tactics-one word:calculators.

Super Punch Out-I'm one of the few people who likes this one more than the original. Hardest thing to do here-beating time attack records. My brother and I would keep one upping each other in trying to beat each other's times. Got to the point where the difference was something like 9.54 vs 9.55 seconds on some of the guys. Spent hours trying to beat some of those times...

JoshF

Supporting Actor
FFX: All the ultimate weapon quests. Good lord. The Chocobo balloon-popping race to get Tidus' ultimate weaon was a nightmare as was the lightning bold-dodging.

Defender: This game, in general, I always found nearly impossible. Ugh. I always wished I was better at this game, but I could never get it together. Maybe the upcoming 3D version will vindicate me.

Dragon's Lair: This game was an exercise in annoyance like a bad game of Simon. And it somehow got me.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
What about basketball on the old Atari 2600. Playing the computer on hard? Everything he threw up would go in and would always steal the ball from you. Everytime he would shoot he would go back and forth super fast like he was having a spasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks