Hardest /Most Frustrating Task to Accomplish In Video Games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

What't the hardest/most frustrating thing you've ever/never accomplished in a video game?
    Here are mine:
    1. Dodging two hundred lightning bolts in Final Fantasy X
    - I was jumping for joy after I did this task.
    2. Beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out
    - I still can't do it. I broke out the NES the other day, and I went straight to Tyson only to get beat.
    3. Beating Emerald Weapon with all three characters alive in Final Fantasy VII
    - I know, it's silly, but isn't there anybody else that does this?
    4. Beating Final Fantasy Tactics
    - Great in theory, frustrating in execution. What diabolical mind decided that your enemies level up with your characters as well? A friend of mine wasn't kidding when he said you could conceivably die in any battle.
    5. Defeating your father in Ninja Gaiden
    - I can't beat this guy!!! And to make matters worse, you start all over two boards before!!!
    I'll think of more.

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Getting my 6th character to level 100 in PSO & finishing everything in Tony Hawk 2 (100% & Golds with all characters, plus clearing every gap in the game).
    Not exceeedingly hard or frustrating, but they are 2 accomplishments that I'm happy with. [​IMG]
    -Dave

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

aiming in SOCOM.

4. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I remember spending countless hours with my roommates trying to get all the extra/cheat stuff in Goldeneye on the N64. Some of those were insane! We were jumping up and down when we got them... [​IMG]

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Jason;

Same here! I somehow managed to get all of the cheats in that game. The invincibility cheat alone was worth the effort there is so much devilish fun you can have with it.

One of the most difficult tasks I set to achieve a year and a half ago was to beat the original Battletoads for the NES without using any continues. Of course, I also said that I could not warp under any circumstances. It took over 10 years to accomplish, but I finally did it, and now I never have to do it again.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Beating Emerald weapon with all three characters alive is actually a little easy with the right preperation in FFVII.

Beating Ruby weapon with all three characters, much less one, is downright maddening and near impossible. That is a challenge!(That I have not done)

Beating Ninja Gaiden III takes the cake for challenge. Ninja Gaiden is hard, II is a tad easier, but III is ridiculous.

Only way I beat Mike Tyson was surviving to win by decision. Just gotta crack 3000 points and survive.

Beating Final Fantasy Tactics is damn hard, but my cousin who can never do well at most RPGs and strategy games beat FFT without a problem. I didnt believe him until he brought his memory card over and made short work of the last boss. I felt like an idiot. I could top him in almost EVERYTHING, but he makes me look like an idiot with FFT. It was pretty cool.

For me, the one task that I accomplished that I jumped up for joy from accomplishing and will never do again, is beating Shin Akuma in World Tour mode in Sreet Fighter Alpha 3. I remember it so well. I was evil Ryu. It is a three round fight. The first fight is against Akuma. Not easy to start with. The next round you have to fight TWO Akumas. Maddening. Then the final round...Shin Akuma.
    Anyone who plays Street Fighter knows that Akuma usually doesnt mess around. He is bad ass to the extreme. Now take that and turn it to eleven. That is Shin Akuma.
    After getting my ass kicked up one side and down the other for a few hours by Shin Akuma(if you lose, you have to refight the first three!) I have already thrown shit around the room and screamed until I was hoarse. Shin Akuma usually likes to open his fights using the raging demon move, except when he does it it is five times faster and goes twice as far. Well, I still won that round. The next part, I start with the move and begin to gloat, only to get my ass kicked for it.
    But I still remember the last round so vividly. We beat each other until harsh language would kill us. I put in the motion to pull off the Super Hurricane kick. After I press the button, the screen flashes with the beginning of a super move...it is Akuma flaring up for a super fireball! I gasp as the screen flashes again as my kick begins. With one move, I jump right over his fireball...it coasts right by my foot a split second before my foot becomes implanted into his head! I scream in glee as the screen does the sunburst effect for a super finish...and the hurricane kick hits him in the face about 10 more times!
    I throw the controller to the ground screaming, flip off the screen and Playstation, save my game, and leave the room. Gaming bliss!

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

-Defeating Death in Castlevania Chronicles
    -Defeating Dracula in Castlevania for the NES
    -Last battle on Mafia (AAAAARRRRGGGH!!)
    -Church shootout on Mafia
    -Reaching level 50 in Dark Age of Camelot (Currently 40 but damn that took long enough!)
    -Ikaruga levels 3 and on (HAIR PULLING!)
    -Firekraag the Red (Dragon) in Baldurs Gate 2 without losing a party member.
    -White Dragon in the Icewind Dale Expansion pack Hearts of Winter without losing a party member
    -Super Mario Sunshine -Old School Challenges without the water pack (frustrating but fun!)
    -Morrowind Killing an Ordinator at level 6 (Took a WHILE, ALLOT of health potions and a good bit of patience and retries but I wanted to try on the armor early!!). Though at level 14 its a cinch[​IMG].
    -Beating Contra 1 without the 30 lives cheat.
    Just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

OOhhhh...forgot beating Contra without the 30 lives cheat. That was fun though. Try beating Lifeforce without the 30 lives cheat! That was loads of fun!

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

10. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I'd be impressed enough if you finished it with 2 people, continues and warping permited.

12. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Charging through 500 billion Covenant and Flood at the end of Halo isn't exactly a cakewalk, either...

13. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Getting the super and international licenses in the Gran Turismo series. An exercise in futility...

I finally gave up, bought a gameshark to get the licenses and went on to finish all the races.

Play through Kid Icarus (NES) without being turned into an eggplant.

I could also never seem to finish Master Blaster (or was it Blaster Master?) for NES. It was a tremendously fun game, but I could never finish it.

Probably the easiest game ever to finish was Strider.

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Beating Final Fantasy one for the NES was no easy task. My friend and I would play that ALL day for weeks and weeks and we finally beat Chaos. What a great feeling that was!

I can't think of anymore of the top of my head.

15. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Beating Mike Tyson.
    I couldn't ever beat him going straight through the game, but I remember the time that I knocked him out 3 times in the 3rd round to beat him like it was yesterday. I was jumping around in my room for at least 5 minutes. The sad thing was, there was no one that cared. [​IMG]
    TMNT for the NES.
    I remember playing the hell out of this game, but never, never being able to beat Shreader(sp).
    The easiest game that I ever recall playing was Aladdin for the Genesis. A very colorful and fun game, just very easy.
    Glen

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

How about long (by 8 bit standards) 'quest' games with no passwords and limited continues, like Sunsoft's Fester's Quest and Blaster Master? The collision detection in that game was wanky... your projectiles would turn transparent and float through the enemy, so you'd have to shoot it more times than necessary just to beat it.
    And if you were so much as touched by an errant leaf in Fester's Quest, you were dead... "Game Over," literally. Start from scratch, too bad.
    Many of the 'endless pit' and windstorm levels in VS. Super Mario Bros. in the arcade. Jump from one red bouncy platform to another, the whole time having to track your movement without actually seeing Mario. Crazy, fun & frustrating...
    SM Sunshine, the sans water pack levels. I passed them all relatively easily but man, there were times when I wanted to throw the controller through the screen. Just amazingly difficult in parts.
    Getting to the Grim Reaper in the original Castlevania with the boomerang and the III icon, a surefire way to pass the game. This requires that you essentially plow through the game without any lives lost... wow.
    My latest bane... the innane, ridiculous, slow-footed and frustrating 'turn based battles' in the GBA LOTR game. Typical example. Two 'spiders' against 4 hobbits. Each hobbit walks slowly to a spider, swings, and misses!!! The spiders knock off half the hobbits' strength. Then (this is five minutes later mind you) the hobbits get another turn and swing, and miss again. Absurd, unfair gameplay. [​IMG]
    Beating the original Actraiser on the Super Famicom without knowing a word of Japanese (at the time).
    et cetera..
    There are two kinds of frustrating moments in games... the ones that endear you to the game, and the ones that make you realize that the game just sucks.
    ~joseph

17. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

I fondly remember beating Bison with Chun Li in a Street Fighter game base on a strategy of constantly jumping towards him and pound the light punch.

The young girl in DOA3 took me several hr.s to beat the boss.

Currently stuck at:
    Tekken 4 tekken force: can't get to the 4th floor so fare exept with Paul & he can't seem to get through it. No save game between floors is annoying.

Getting through the lava in return to sunken church in Buffy.

The 1st gaurd mission in Robotech.

-------
    Peter

18. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I'm still having trouble running and jumping at the same time.

19. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

have you guys played jim power for snes by loriciel? killer sound, cool graphics, outrageous difficulty that i couldnt even finish a quarter of the first level.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I generally don't get stuck in games, I tend to stop playing before that point or I just work right through it.

The most difficult task in the world is getting EVERY secret song in Frequency, including the two ultra secret ones, on Expert mode.