Harder They Come-Criterion vs. Xenon, any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TimJS, Feb 8, 2003.

1. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Saw the Xenon disc (30th Anniversary Special Edition) at Best Buy recently (less than 20 bucks). Here are the specs according to AMG...

Xenon - Features The making-of documentary "Hard Road to Travel" / Filmographies / Dolby Digital 5.1 and original mono mix / Audio interview with Perry Henzell / Coming attractions / "The Harder They Come" music video / Animated menus / Chapter selection

Criterion - Widescreen digital transfer, supervised by writer-director Perry Henzell / Audio commentary by Perry Henzell and star Jimmy Cliff / Exclusive video interview with Island Records founder Chris Blackwell / Illustrated bio-discographies on the film's contributing musicians / English subtitles

Has anyone seen this new release? Anamorphic transfer?? Opinions?

Tks,
    Tim

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I am reviving this since as yet I've heard no answer myself. Which is better. Cult movie lovers and reggae fans want to know! [​IMG]

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

"Xenon" and "quality" are usually exclusive terms. I'm still bitter about their cut version of "The Human Tornado"...

I'd stick with the Criterion.

4. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Mark:

You can find more here . Remember to factor for spine-addict bias.

Tim

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Tim, thanks for the info-- that's interesting (I don't have either version obviously). Xenon's quality is usually pretty crummy and their release came under the radar in light of the Criterion version.

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Xenon just released what they call a "restored" version of the film late August 2006, in a nice 2-pack with the original soundtrack CD. From a few stolen looks on a monitor, it does indeed look much better, I would dare say better than even the OOP Criterion disc. But I have seen no new reviews for this either.