What's new

Hardee's = Carl's Jr - any other chains have different names? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hmmm. I'd always thought "Big Boy" was just burgers and fries, while "Shoney's" was more family style meals (meatloaf, chicken fried steak, fried seafoods, etc.). Never seen a BB, but we had two Shoney's nearby until last year.

Supermarkets: Shaw's/Star Market is a subsidiary of the British grocer Sainsbury's. And I don't know if they still exist (my local one closed), but Purity Supermarkets used to be the same as Stop & Shop.

In home entertainment, the Trans World company owns many mall and shopping center CD/Video stores under a variety of names including FYE (formerly Record Town), Coconuts, Strawberries, Wherehouse, Tangerines, and Saturday Matinee. And doesn't Best Buy now own Suncoast, Sam Goody and Musicland? Also, I think Borders owns Waldenbooks and Brentanos.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
'Big Boy' is a franchise brand name that different chains buy regional rights to use. It can be a lease that expires. Frisch's just bought the permanent rights to the 'Big Boy' trademark in all of Kentucky and Indiana, and most of Ohio and Tennessee, so that they do not have to keep re-negotiating it. Problem was that the owning company (Elias Bros) went bankrupt...if you lease a trademark, you can lose it every time the parent company goes bankrupt. A company called Liggett owns the Big Boy name. Elias Bros founded Big Boy, and Bob's in california was the first franchisee.
As far as Shoney's Big Boy goes, Shoney's has gotten their brand strong enough that they just use their own name most places (which allows them to open locations in areas where somebody else has rights to the Big Boy name). But yes, their original growth was under the Big Boy name.
Hardees bought 'Roy Rogers' for their locations, and I think for their chicken recipe. 98% of them were closed down or converted to Hardees, but a handful of independent franchises have contracts that allow them to keep using the name for at least the next few years.
Their roast beef blows Arby's away, and their chicken is awesome...Hardee's clone version doesn't cut it.

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
Hardee's and Carl's Jr. used to be seperate and unrelated--it was only three or four years ago that Carl's bought out Hardee's instead of expanding out into the midwest themselves... If there are still some menu differences, that's probably why...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here in the East, Roy's continues to survive on the Jersey turnpike! :) I always stop, UNLIMITED PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
they're so disgusting I don't even want to patronize the chain
BOY do I agree with you, Jack! Every time I start to hear one of their disgusting commercials, I change the channel. Everything about them reeks, including the apparent demographic they're trying to reach.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Ditto the revolting Carl's Jr. commercials. Too bad I love their burgers! I wish they'd open a few frachises in the Seattle area. :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Huh. I grew up in Montana, and we had hardee's, but not carl's jr. They had the frisco burgers, fried chicken and all that, and roast beef sandwhiches kinda like arby's. I moved to Oregon, where they had carl's jr, but no hardees, then I moved to North Dakota, where we have hardees and no carl's Jr. However, in the time I was gone hardees became a weird carl's jr hybrid, half of the old menu is still there, but so is most of the carl's jr menu, like the super stars and stuff they never had before. The fried chicken is gone up here, and the hardees cups are different, now they have the carl's jr logo on them instead of the old hardees one. So at least up here while I was gone they got bought as near as I can tell... but they're definitely part of the same organization now, no doubt about it.

other stuff is different up here too

best foods mayo=hellmans

edy's ice cream=something else I haven't figured out

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Breyers and Turkey Hill are far superior to Edys, which tastes artificial to me. Dunno if those are regional or not (pretty sure Turkey Hill is)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I had an old girl friend who's father was in construction and built a good portion of the Carls Jrs in California.... where they started. He dealt with Carl many times ....total right wing Bible thumper. If you weren't a white male God fearing American, you did not work for him period.

David Oliver

Second Unit
Hardee's has (or had, it's been a while) absolutely delicious raisin and cinnimon biscuits. Their gravy and biscuits was also good, if not exactly healthy. Heck, their biscuits period are damn good.

Now I have no Hardee's, but I do like the Carl's Jr $6 burger.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hardees is still mainly a breakfast place around here, great biscuits. (hey were in the south ... buscuits are a big deal).
Biscuits are a big deal in the South. You don't know how to make em, then get out! :D
But seriously, I'm tempted to try the six-dollar burger.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Concerning Safeway and Vons.

Just like Carl's and Hardees, they were two separate companies and then Safeway purchased Vons.

I think they're also under different management
No they are definitely under the same management.

In the grocery store business both Safeway and Kroger have several different names that they use around the country.

The use of different names is the result of purchasing regional chains.

Makes perfect marketing sense, if a chain is well branded in a region why change the name and lose the branding?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks